Will "pasted flesh" make leather thicker? I'm looking to buy some leather from Wickett & Craig and have it skived down to 2oz. I have the option of having it refinished and pasted, but I'm curious if the paste application will make the leather much thicker.

- How much thicker will paste make the leather?

- Also, will paste make the leather stiffer? more durable?

Thanks for the help! :cheers:

You probably wont see a noticeable difference. I have samples from wickett craig, some are regular, some pasted, refinished ect.

Im not able to tell which is pasted or refinished.

I will take a look at the samples later on to confirm if I can tell a difference in weight.

Negligible difference, even on 2 oz. But there shouldn't be a need for pasting with W&C leather, I'am looking at 5 or so pieces in a roll right now and the backs are beautiful.

Art

Thanks for the responses. I'm also interested in a pasted flesh for the sake of making the leather a bit stiffer. That being the case, would you say the $0.75 per sqft is a worthwhile investment?

No not really. It never made the leather appreciably stiffer on the one or two hides I had done. After those, I didn't bother. If you want it stiffer back it with whatever does the job. Some hides are stiffer than others, I have some roo that would stiffen a piece up nicely AND give it an incredible backside finish and add the plus of getting it in a variety of colors. Paste is just paste, it makes the backside a little glossy. You seem to be wanting us to tell you to get the pasted back, so hell, GET THE PASTED BACK on one hide and see for yourself. 75 cents a foot is the going rate for that service. W&C has the best finishing (or Custom) shop out there and they can help where you need it.

Art

Thanks again. I've ordered some samples to see what the difference is.

Also, I'd love to try using some kangaroo for this project, but I don't want to buy a whole hide. Do you have any that you use that you could sell me? If so, PM me, I'd happily pay a premium for it!

leatheroo on ebay is a good source for me. Do get the veg tan, not chrome if you want something with substance similar to cow veg tan.

Edited by DavidL