To buy the dark brown or the light brown, is the question. Is it better to thin out the dark brown or just go heavy or multiple coats with the light brown to achieve a medium brown or colors in between? Money is tight and would like to buy one bottle of dye to use for now. I have been using Fiebings leather dye. Thank you in advance.

I understand money is tight but useing 2 or 3 times the amount of light to make dark or buying the thinner to lighten the dark will actually cost you more than buying both.

You should get the brown (Fiebing's) and thin it down. I have had success at 20% dye and 80% DEA. Fiebing's, in my experience, puts a lot more dyestuffs than necessary in their dyes, and cutting them uses some of this up. It also makes it a lot easier to dip dye, and a lot more consistent. The nice thing about the lighter concentration is that you can always run it through the dye again if it is not dark enough; going the other way don't work.

Art