JRDill

My Leather Journey Begins Here

I wasn't sure which sub forum to put this under, so I figured this would be a good place.

I wanted to start a thread to document my journey and progress as I grow in my leather experience.

Last night I was finally able to unpack all of my Grandpa's tools from the storage bins I had of them (http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=64178 this thread in "Getting Started explains that a bit). I have yet to organize or catalog what toold I have, mainly because it is a lot! Here are some photos of my work area. I'm about 75% set up. Missing a few essential tools for belt making, which I will start soon, but other than that I am pretty set!

Cool and old Stamper!

leather1_zpskxyymsqe.jpg

Grandpa's first leather project was to make covers for all of his Al Stohlman Leather courses!

leather8_zpspwhuzyie.jpg

Here is the cover

leather6_zpssnfipv2d.jpg

ABC Stamps he used most often

leather3_zpswkfegkjf.jpg

More alphabet/number sets

leather2_zps2dfwvpqh.jpg

Most of the tools. I still have a shoe box of stamps and another with more carving/design tools. Can someone tell me what the second to last from the left tool is (the ones laying on the desk)? It's got a small allen wrench looking attachment on it.

leather4_zpsyx8lu02n.jpg

I am set on dyes (especially black and dark brown), for the next lifetime.

leather5_zpsyey2dbkk.jpg

All of his traced patterns he ever used!

leather9_zps6khgojjp.jpg

His first swivel knife. My favorite part of the collection.

leather7_zpsclgoafox.jpg

Nice collection! I think the tool you were asking about is a Tandy stitch groover, but a close up picture would help. That home study course looks amazing. It would be cool to see what is inside.

Edited by Bob Blea

The picture of that swivel knife in your hand says about everything you could say about what those tools mean to you. Thanks for sharing.

Love it! Glad to see you're carrying on Grandpa's leather legacy. Enjoy the process!

I believe it is a Tandy stitch groover. And the study guide is great. Apparently he would do practice carves and tests, then send them in and they would send back a grade and critique. I'll post some photos some time of it.

Thanks for all the comments! I will be updating this thread often as I learn and grow.

*UPDATE*

07/29/15

Today I did my first hand stitching, and I think it came out OK. I bought Al Stohlman's book on the topic and it was a huge help. Instead of using an awl for the holes I used a 2mm chisel. I think either the holes are too big or the thread is too small. What do you guys think?

IMG_2136_zpssmyoi6vf.jpg

I really need to practice using my overstitch wheel. I guess the best technique would to go slow and steady? The back side doesn't look nearly this good. I'm wondering if re punching the holes on the back side will make it a little cleaner?

I kept practicing by stitching up a little keychain I'm working on as well. I stitched this three times total so a lot thicker.

IMG_2140_zpsbqor3clg.jpg

Any and all critique/feedback is very much appreciated!

Also, before I forget, I promised I would share some of the pages from the Al Stohlman take home course! I'll share more as I go on.

IMG_2118_zpsp37mzrx2.jpg

IMG_2117_zpsvoq1d1a1.jpg

IMG_2116_zpsxsj4g2wb.jpg

For a first time stitching I don't think your work looks bad at all. You might be right about too big of holes, it's a little hard for me to tell.

Thanks for sharing the pages from the home course. That looks like a treasure to me but then I love old books.

Thanks, Bob! Yeah that book is wonderful to look through. I have five of them in total!

Wow, what a legacy. Its fantastic that you are carrying this on. Hali was right, you have a treasure indeed

Today I spent a lot of time just working on my hand stitching. I made a "prototype" of a simple credit card wallet as a way to practice my stitching.

IMG_2162_zpswlirsh41.jpg

IMG_2163_zps1wwozsbw.jpg

Now that I am getting comfortable with stitching, I am going to start making some of my wallet ideas, once I get some good leather in. Oh...and don't even ask about the belt I tried to make today.

Have a look on YouTube at Nigel Armitage's videos.

Amongst others, he does one on the saddle stitch, and one on making a simple wallet. The wallet one is also a good introduction to basic leatherwork and can be applied to other items

Do you have any of your Grandfathers work? You are very lucky to have all of his tools. Good luck ,you are off to a great start.

Jim