jshill

Missed A Lacing Hole

Hi, Ive been busy lacing a bag and haven't realised until I have finished a whole section that I have missed one lacing hole. This has caused a slight bulge in the bags panel. I don't really want to unpick the lace as it is about half way through two yards of lace. I think it would be better to cut the lace and splice in a section. If I do this does any one have any recommendation about how many holes above and below the missing lace hole I should go up to?

Any help is appreciated.

post-48375-0-96216900-1438008901_thumb.j

post-48375-0-49684500-1438008894_thumb.j

Thanks

Jack

Edited by jshill

Consider it a missed buttonhole in your shirt, where would you button it to? There is no place to stitch that missed spot into.

From the 2nd picture, it appears that you missed that hole going up that side. Me, personally, I would take and cut the lace a hole or two above the missed spot and cut out all the lace between that point and just around the corner of the front where the lace makes that turn from the front side to the front top. Splice in, fix it right and call it a job well done.

Afterwards, it will look right, it will BE right, and you will have fixed it right. Then if you decide to tell anyone about the minor mishap, you can say you felt the need to practice splicing lace, then ask them if they can find where the splice is.

I've been in this exact spot. I did the exact same thing on the wife's purse. Did my best Yosemite Sam impression, cut out the mistake and fixed it right. Worst part about it is my wife will not use that purse because she thinks it so nice she is afraid someone will steal it on the (city) bus.

The bag (from those two pictures) looks good. Fix that spot right and call it a job well done so it will BE good! Good luck, friend!

I would agree with Red Bear.

If its worth doing its worth doing correctly. for anybody.

even more, especially if its for my significant other.

Call it practice makes perfect ! Wild Bill46

I don't really want to unpick the lace as it is about half way through two yards of lace.

I wouldn't "want" to do that either, but that is the only way you'll get better. If you hold yourself to a high standard, you'll remember to be more careful and avoid errors like this in the future. I don't mean for that to sound unnecessarily harsh, but if there are consequences to errors like this, you tend to get better faster. I do, anyway.

I think it would be better easier/faster to cut the lace and splice in a section.

Fixed that for you. :)

Yeah, any issues in lacing, I wouldn't back it out - just cut the lace to that point. Assuming that you're right handed, I guess you were going DOWN that side, so I would cut from a couple inches past the corner (on teh bottom of the bag) to the point you have there. I don't like splices in the corners. WAIT .. it looks like your lace is cracked PAST that, so I would cut out as much as I needed to get past the cracks.

You want the repair about 2" long. Stay about an inch away from the corner.

Side comment: You have issues on all of your corners where three points come together. Properly done, your lace should have started a few holes earlier and blended around the corner. At a glance you should not be able to tell which direction the lace continued and which way the new strand started.

Praise: Your tension looks good throughout the lacing. Many people screw that part up.

Hi thanks for all the advice.

Red Bear Haraldsson yes I way definitely doing my Yosemite Sam impression when I noticed the mistake! Hopefully my leather work will be good enough to steal one day.

Wild Bill46 yes I think you are both right.

25B I think I'm going to Splice in a section and see if it looks alright. If it doesn't then I will be unpicking. I doubt I won't make a mistake like this again but I will try my best.

JLSleather the Calf lace I have been using has had a lot of cracks in it unfortunately. I will cut out past the cracked area.

Electrathon I'm not sure I understand what you mean about starting the lacing earlier? Thanks for the advice and praise.

Electrathon I'm not sure I understand what you mean about starting the lacing earlier? Thanks for the advice and praise.

Start around the corner, doubling up your lace for a few stitches. You should not have an unlaced gap like you have on your corners.

Start around the corner, doubling up your lace for a few stitches. You should not have an unlaced gap like you have on your corners.

Hi, okay I get you. Thanks