Knocked this up for my mother the other day. It was nice to work on something quite simple.

wallet-12.jpg

wallet-17.jpg

wallet-16.jpg

wallet-14.jpg

wallet-15.jpg

wallet-13.jpg

Edited by Petewon

Nice job!

Your first one? LOL

Very very nice work!!!!!

Thanks very much for the comments everyone. :)

That's real nice. Where do you get your goat?

I buy it from Alran in france.

It looks very good! I like how you finished your edges. May I ask how they were done?

First off, that's a nice looking wallet. I really like the looks of it.

Quick question - not necessarily related to this exact wallet, but the design. On the "inner pockets", there is a tab. Do you run the "outer pocket" up to that tab, or do you overlap it just a bit? I just made one last week that was similar in design, and ran it up to the tab, but no overlap. I really didn't like the way it came out. If you do overlap, do you skive the back of either pocket?

Thanks!

Kevin

First off, that's a nice looking wallet. I really like the looks of it.

Quick question - not necessarily related to this exact wallet, but the design. On the "inner pockets", there is a tab. Do you run the "outer pocket" up to that tab, or do you overlap it just a bit? I just made one last week that was similar in design, and ran it up to the tab, but no overlap. I really didn't like the way it came out. If you do overlap, do you skive the back of either pocket?

Thanks!

Kevin

Hi kevin,

the tabs but up against one another, they dont overlap. This ensures that all three pockets only build up to one layer of leather if that makes sense. A bit hard to explain really.

It looks very good! I like how you finished your edges. May I ask how they were done?

Hi Bob, I just cut the edge as smooth as possilbe then sand and paint. I can usually get it smooth but following this process 3 times.

Thanks Petewon. That's what I thought. I know one of my issues last time was I didn't take my time to make sure I did a good job. I really just threw it together as a mockup for a wallet I was making for my (possible) future son in law for his birthday.

very nice. Is that the goat sully from alran or the main line? 8spi?

Did you sew from the inside(orange) to the outer (taupe) part or from the outside in?

I have been sewing with both sides being the front but I haven't settled on one way or the other. In this case I would probably sew from the outside in since the stitching is contrasting on that part and the backside would blend in with the thread. Trying to pick peoples brains on how they decide on the front.

thanks

very nice. Is that the goat sully from alran or the main line? 8spi?

Did you sew from the inside(orange) to the outer (taupe) part or from the outside in?

I have been sewing with both sides being the front but I haven't settled on one way or the other. In this case I would probably sew from the outside in since the stitching is contrasting on that part and the backside would blend in with the thread. Trying to pick peoples brains on how they decide on the front.

thanks

I think the orange is main and the beige is sully. The iron is just one of those cheap chinese sets and yes they are 8tpi, not bad for the money.

Yes I punch and stictch from the inside out. I find it easier to straddle the punch over pocket tabs this way. It is nice when using the same colour inside and out as you can pick a thread which doesnt stand out too much. Dont get me wrong I love a contrasting thread but its not very forgiving. I was using some new Au chinois thread for this and the jury is still out. It comes on smaller spools than the lin cable so quite a bit cheaper.

Also besides the pockets. How many layers total. Just 2 back to back for the main portion of the body?

In total it worked out as 3. The outer, inner and pockets (which make up one).

:)

Edited by Petewon

Well it comes on small 50m spools so is quite curly when when you take it off the spool. It has a flat profile and is quite a bit thinner compared to my usual 632. My initial thoughts are that with the flat profile it doesnt allways lie the same giving what looks like thinner stitiches in places. I'll spend a bit more time with it and see how i get on. I do like the fact i dont need to spend near £30 on a full spool of a colour im never going to use that much of.

Beautiful work!

Edited by thefanninator

Hey Petewon, love the wallet! Nicely done.

As a side note in America the term "knocked up" means something entirely different. I am not sure where you are but just a word of caution.

Hey Petewon, love the wallet! Nicely done.

As a side note in America the term "knocked up" means something entirely different. I am not sure where you are but just a word of caution.

Thanks.

yeah I'm in the UK at it means something quite different. :oops: I'll bear that in mind for the future. :)

Man, I LOVE this right here. The color combo is just fantastic. If I may ask, what size pricking irons did you use for this? Or did you machine sew it?

Edited by DanielToby

On comments above they say cheap Chinese chisels at 8 spi. Au Chinois thread. It's hand stitched machine can't get the angled saddle stitch.

Petewon,

i absolutely love this. I have been practising a few wallets and card holders; my stitching is coming on but it will be a long time before it looks as neat as this. Could i ask you what type of thread and thickness are you using and how many stitches per inch?

21 minutes ago, Dunluce said:

Petewon,

i absolutely love this. I have been practising a few wallets and card holders; my stitching is coming on but it will be a long time before it looks as neat as this. Could i ask you what type of thread and thickness are you using and how many stitches per inch?

See comment before yours.

Sorry reading it properly now. I notice Petewon says the thread is quite a bit thinner han his usual 632. When i looked this up it says 632 is about 0.5mm so this thread is probably about 0.4mm. Much thinner than anything i have tried yet.

Yeah it's a little thinner than 632. To be honest I've not used those threads in a while, it's Au chinois that comes on the small spools, you can pick it up quite cheap on eBay. I'll dig out a link if you like. Another reasonably priced option would be serafil