JSLeathercraft

Used Ferdco Pro 2000/juki Vs New Cobra Class 4

Regardless whether the machine is new or used, the buyer should understand that ALL machines will at some point need to be adjusted, or repaired, have parts changed etc. I have purchased for factory use well over 1,000 machines of all make and class, new and used.

My personal expectations are that each and every one of them will have to be worked on at some point. That's what I expect, so when it happens, I don't get upset.

People get upset when their expectations are not met. In many cases, they simply expected the machine to be "plug and play". Beware of anyone making a claim that the machine will always work like a charm, they don't. A lot of the time the new owner messes it up themselves. In a factory, I can just walk over, make the adjustment, educate the operator hands on, and be done with it. Not the case for most folks on the forum.

In my honest opinion, I'd rather have someone available to talk me through an issue if I knew nothing about machines. At some point, the end user has to assume some responsibility in making sure they're not doing something that causes problems over and over.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I had some time during lunch.

Regards, Eric

Words to live by for someone who doesn't know their way around industrial machines. In regard to going with someone available to talk to and close to Indiana, you might give Cowboy Bob at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines a call to discuss his Cowboy 441 clone. Less shipping means more money to spend on leather, thread, etc.

This is in no way a slam against Steve because I would advise someone near California to talk to him.

If you want a really good user and service manual, you have to go with:

Dürkopp Adler

Singer

Pfaff

Juki

All the chinese manuals are pretty iffy.

Hoffmann Brothers in Illinois took over Ferdco, and is a bit closer than California. All of the above Manufacturers AND the well known Japanese and Chinese machines are in their wheelhouse. And American Machines too, they do Puritan.

Art

I'm not afraid of a used machine. I've had several already. An Adler flatbed, a Singer flatbed, a Tippmann Boss, an American Straight Needle, and a Sewmo "The Stud" cylinder arm as well as about 15 home type/embroidery machines for regular fabric sewing. I've just never spent enough to get myself the right heavy machine. I tend to think differently than most. I have a hard time buying something new and sterile....I'd prefer to find a great deal on something someone else has loved and then work it over and make it mine. There are those out there who absolutely should buy new and probably couldn't make it without the customer service (my brother in law being one of those....LOL...poor guy)

You go girl!

If you've had an ASN, well then you'll do more than fine.

Art

I'm not afraid of a used machine. I've had several already. An Adler flatbed, a Singer flatbed, a Tippmann Boss, an American Straight Needle, and a Sewmo "The Stud" cylinder arm as well as about 15 home type/embroidery machines for regular fabric sewing. I've just never spent enough to get myself the right heavy machine. I tend to think differently than most. I have a hard time buying something new and sterile....I'd prefer to find a great deal on something someone else has loved and then work it over and make it mine. There are those out there who absolutely should buy new and probably couldn't make it without the customer service (my brother in law being one of those....LOL...poor guy)

Well now. In light of this experience that you have just now told us about and given your opinion of used machines....You have answered the question that you posed in your first post. Go with the Ferdco Pro. Juki is top notch and if you are buying other equipment you might have some bargaining leverage. I would still get a quick tutorial on it though.

Edited by machinehead

Hey all! Just thought I would give you an update. I did purchase the Ferdco/Juki. I LOVE IT! It sews perfectly, one owner, is in super condition, and came with the original manual!

I had plans to try to talk the price down a bit further but once I got there I just couldn't. The girl selling it looked to be about 20-23 years old and met me at her elderly grandma's house where she was storing it. The grandma told me the girl's mother had died a couple years ago and then a year later her father passed away as well. She told me her father had been a holster maker and made a lot of holsters for the local policemen. She was an only child and had had the task of going through and selling all of her parent's estate by herself. Every day I feel blessed to have a wonderful familly and have my own successful business...so I just gave her the original price for all three pieces as a package. I got a Heritage Foot Press with a couple sets of dies, a Weaver Edge Finisher, and the Juki all for $2400. As I was going to buy the other two pieces from her anyway I figured I am into the Juki for around $1900. I only wish I would have seen her ad earlier and could have bought the whole shop before it was pieced out!

Anyway, once again, I appreciate everyone's help! I'm one happy girl right now!

post-8066-0-25503600-1439135758_thumb.jp

Great deal on great equipment.

I got my sewing machine through a similar deal, and at the time, I just couldn't afford to by the entire holster shop.

Sounds like a great deal! In fact, I'm so jealous I likely won't be speaking to you for a while ;)

Well, unless you show us pics of work you did with it, then maybe it's okay ...

Hell of a deal on the Pro 2000! The Efka motor and synchronizer alone is worth $700-800.00 new.

glenn

I saw the Pic of the FERDCO Juki 2000 NICE it has a striking resemblance of the FERDINAND 900-B (Bull?)

I am seriously thinking of buying one nearby.

Any thoughts??

The 900-b is a little different animal. It is not walking foot but jump foot; they both have needle feed. It's just a little different way of doing things and is really useful on stiff leather.

Art

Can any one suggest a video to watch a jump foot needle feed sewing in action?? I am catching this cursed sewing machine bug from over exposure.... May have to unsubscribe for reasons of self preservation.. AND OH YEAH ART ----- THANKS and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you

Edited by TRTermite

Can any one suggest a video to watch a jump foot needle feed sewing in action??

Here is a video showing a customer how to setup his new Union Lockstitch machine. The action starts around the 8:30 area and continues until about 9:00. It plainly shows how the foot lifts and lowers as the needle moves the leather.

Edited by Wizcrafts

I watched the whole video and the stitching actions more than a few times...Art is right it is a different kind of critter. Will try a few calls this week to the successors of ferdco to see if the "BULL" is a viable machine or a waste of money,, After everything you all have helped me with I believe I will try to use the consew 225 to get a good start then if things go right something with reverse will come along .. So the Dreams go. Thanks for the video Wiz I will not say I understand it completely but It was an immense help.

Hard to Fathom the knowledge you GUYS have accumulated ( "INCONCEIVABLE" ) I appreciate your efforts of sharing and helping me

Thanks doesn't seem to be enough But it is SINCERE