NewYorkerInSydney

Making A Fat/wide Awl Smaller And Narrower

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a Douglas slim awl. I was told these are pretty good for sewing more than 7 spi, and that theyre excellent quality etc. Anyway, I received it and this thing is like a sword. It absolutely looks like excellent quality and is well made, however, this makes massive holes! Theres no way I can use this for any delicate leather work. Its just way to fat and long this thing.

Does anyone know how I can somehow shave this or grind or file it to make it less fat and just a thinner awl that makes smaller holes? I just can't use this as is.

Many thanks,

Nyis

I have one as well and its defintely better quality and sharper than my vergez blanchard awl but I use that one more often because its narrower. I finally cut about 1/4" off the bottom to shorten it but I haven't attempted to grind it down at all yet so curious what others have to say. Its not wider than my vergez blade but it has more of a traditonal diamond shape, the vergez is flatter and shaped more like the slants of the pricking iron.

what kind of awl were you using previously?

One more thing to note is they vary in size greatly! They originally sent me 2 slim blades by mistake and one was a lot larger. I sent that one back :)

I know they are handmade and don't expect them to be exactly the same size but the difference was pretty large.

Edited by lilwaysleather

Do you have a picture of the hole and awl?

I've sharpen a messed up vergez awl blade. Completely out of whack to usable.

My tip to you is to use a sandpaper as option number 1, cheap silicone carbide stone option number 2. The stone will have grooves after you are done. Try to sharpen evenly, finally use polishing rouge after green compound. I could go on some more in-depth but to just sharpen it evenly will get the awl to where you want it.

I know that this idea requires tools that most people do not have but maybe you can make something similar in another way.

I have tried to reshape an awl using only sandpaper. It can be done but it takes a lot of time and it is very hard to maintain the angle. Therefore I decided to make a device that holds the awl and use it in combination with my sharpening jig http://andersenleather.blogspot.dk/2015/05/round-knife-sharpening-jig.html

The device that holds the awl looks like this:

8Oru5AP.jpg

I have access to a 3d printer so it is easy to make. I should be possible to make it out of wood also.

You then attach a file to the sharpening jig and flip the awl holder so that you can grind on all 4 sides.

I will let you know if this works out.

If the awl is made of good quality steel, then I'd be surprised if sandpaper or files would do much, as I would expect the steel to be hardened and tempered (if you can use a file on it, then it's what I would call pretty "ordinary" steel). An oilstone should do it, but it may take a lot of work. Best thing would be a water-cooled grinding wheel. If you use an ordinary bench grinder be very careful, as it will overheat the steel in nothing flat and basically leave you with a sharpened iron nail!

I have reshaped a few Craftool and C.S. Osborne awl blades. I do agree with Dikman that it will take some work. I would try contact Sheridan Outfitters or Douglas tools to see if you can exchange for a smaller one after you explain your issues.

either way, keep us posted!

Good luck

It's not worth the time and frustration in my opinion.

Barry King's awls are perfect out of the box and in sizes perfectly appropriate for your needs.

I recently ordered a Douglas slim and ran into the same problem you did. That thing is HUGE for something advertised as slim. I just ordered a size 0 from Barry King and although it is still not quite as small as I would like, it works just fine for the 8 spi stitching that I do.

Edited by RobDude30