Oldtoolsniper

Francis & Ward Round Or Head Knife Information Help.

Just started cleaning this one up. Got the layer of rust removed and found the name Francis & Ward on the knife. Only information I can find is a little bit on Bruce Johnsons tool site. As you can see she's been used and sharpened quite a bit.

Looking for any information on the maker.

As always Thanks.

post-53835-0-33639600-1438188166_thumb.j

Shoot Bruce a note, if anybody knows, he does.

Semper Fi

Bob

Bob,

Thanks. I may do that if he doesn't post on here. I think these old tools are that much more of a pleasure to bring back to life and to use if some of the history is known. This one had a lot of rust and paint on it. I think it may have done time as a painters tool or a wallpaper hangers tool. Once I got that off I found the name.

I've got a few Francis & Ward tools - two hammers, a draw gauge, and a straight channeler off the top of my head. There isn't a lot of history on Francis&Ward. The books by Alexander Farnham are the most complete but not probably the final answer on some things. John Ward was a cutler in Newark in 1856, but Francis was not listed as a tradesman. I think one source has him listed as a financier of a couple toolmakers in different types of tools. The business wasn't listed after 1859, so that pins things down some. My Francis & Ward draw gauge was a local antique store find and started me on this slippery slope of tool hunting.

Bruce ,

Many thanks on the information. I'm working on putting it back into leather working condition. I don't think this knife had an easy life. I will post pictures when she's back in working shape.