antipaladin

Burnishing Wheel

I'm still trying to get around to making small burnishers for the dremel from 1" stock with a 1/8" hole drilled into them for a screw to be chucked into a dremel. A permanent mandrel would even be better, maybe a screw that goes all the way through with some epoxy on the shaft. I've bought the screws (longer screws for the mandrel). Now I need to find the time to turn them. I've done a few by hand but they turned out lousy. They work fine by hand but unusable with the dremel, as they are out of round (hole not centered properly) and the channel is not filed out properly.

I'm trying to use pieces that are 7/8" to 1" dia. by thicknesses of 1/2", 3/4" and 1". Not sure if the weight of these will have adverse effects on the dremel.

Here's a pic.

Ed

Ed, you might try chucking those mandrels into a drill press or hand drill in a vise and making them round with sandpaper(36-80 grit) or a rasp. You can use a rat tail file or a screwdriver shaft wrapped in sandpaper to make a groove. The more stable the drill the better. Turn at low-mid speed (500-800rpm). Use a sanding block and don't hold the paper still. I'd stick to the 1/2" size at first, until you see how well the dremel can handle the weight, and if your dremel is variable speed, use low. Hold the dremel inside a coffee can and wear eye protection the first time you turn it on with these in it in case they are out of balance and the shaft lets go. :lol:

Ryano, that's what I always go back to, but it's tiring and slow if I have lots of straps to edge - so I'm always looking for the magic perfect way to burnish faster.

Has anyone ever found a good way to make a powered rotary burnisher with a canvas cover, charged with saddle soap?

Julia

the finishing machine,sander and finishing brushes found in every boot n shoe repair shop, had a canvas cover'd x4inch wide hard rubber attachment, that black or brown wax was burnished on, then sole edges were burnished over a stain to a high finish.check out your local repairman in th ol' folks home and ask him he'll tell ya .i did these repairs for 6 years once n had one on my finisher adios pete

Sure Julia....just wrap a wood burnisher with the canvas. I've been doing that for some time!

Legal_folio_025_L_.jpg

Those are some stunning edges. A1 Darryl

....just wrap a wood burnisher with the canvas. I've been doing that for some time!

apart from ensuring the canvas is wrapped the correct way how do you fix it to the burnisher? I also assume the slight 'step' where the canvas starts / ends doesn't cause a problem....

A pic would be great if possible :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Edited by scooby

apart from ensuring the canvas is wrapped the correct way how do you fix it to the burnisher? I also assume the slight 'step' where the canvas starts / ends doesn't cause a problem....

A pic would be great if possible :You_Rock_Emoticon:

After wrapping the burnishing wheel with two or three good wraps, I used electricians tape on the ends to hold it there. That was just going to be temporary until I figured it all out....but it's still holding, so I've left it alone. The canvas is saturated with saddle soap and has confromed to the shape of the burnishing wheel. For the most part, it holds itself on. I used some Barge on the loose end and it is holding fairly well. The whole thing could probably be Barged together right to the wheel.

I just picked up a nice piece of Lignum Vitae hardwood and I'd like to make a burnishing wheel like the one in the photo. Does anyone know someone in the Hartford, CT area who does woodwork?

burnishingju2.jpg

Thanks, Terrific initiative.

Yes I'm very interested. But....

I'm in Europe (France) and would need it with a 25,5 mm bore.

The questions of course are

Is that possible and against what price (and when)

Merry Christmas

Best Regards

Aart.

Deuce, That looks nice I also would be interested in one for myself. Let me know what you need if you don't mind. Thanks James

Hidepounder, Your edges are the best I have seen to date, nice work. I was thinking of wrapping a barrel sander arbor in canvas also. I think these two tools together will work out well. hopefuly?

Thanks for everyones help at LW,

James

I would be interested as well,it's one of the more tedious chores,but it finishes the project so well.I would like the shaft to be 3/8 to 7/16" to be strong enough to chuck in my Drill Press.Verticle shaft motors would probably be larger maybe 1/2-9/16".Please keep us informed how the R&D is going, I will purchase a soundly designed wheel.

I just picked up a nice piece of Lignum Vitae hardwood and I'd like to make a burnishing wheel like the one in the photo. Does anyone know someone in the Hartford, CT area who does woodwork?

burnishingju2.jpg

I'd be interested in one with the same channel widths, but I don't think the channels should be as deep, so as not to risk leaving marks on the grain side of leather.

ed

I would love one of these wood burnishers as well... Does anyone know what is the progress with this? Anyone gonna attempt to produce it? thanks.

I have found a woodworker at a local woodworking store who is willing to make this for me, but I have to come up with the 1/2" arbor that goes through the center. I cannot find motor arbors with the bolt extension long enough. Any ideas on where to look for a long 1/2" motor arbor? Or how to make a normal motor arbor longer?

Julia

Edited by JAM

I have found a woodworker at a local woodworking store who is willing to make this for me, but I have to come up with the 1/2" arbor that goes through the center. I cannot find motor arbors with the bolt extension long enough. Any ideas on where to look for a long 1/2" motor arbor? Or how to make a normal motor arbor longer?

Julia

I've seen these attached to a pully system

Burnisher --> O=O=O=O

.......................ll

...........Belt--> ll

.......................ll.. ____

......Motor---> O=(____()

:Lighten:
Edited by Greybeard

I would love one of these wood burnishers as well... Does anyone know what is the progress with this? Anyone gonna attempt to produce it? thanks.

Ive gotten arbors from lowes that fit a 1/2 shaft, they were actuallly just sleeves with set screws to lock them to the moror shaft and to whatever you put in the other side whether it was 1/2" rod or say a carraige bolt long enough to go through the burnisher, they were only like 4.00

rickeyfro, that sounds just right - you've saved me a lot of time!

Julia

Julia, let me know if you have trouble finding them, if so let me know how many you need and I'll get them. Id also be interested in having a burnisher made. Rick

Okay, sounds good and I'll keep you in the loop.

Julia

hidepounder, i surely would like to know the process you use to get that wonderful finish. i do knife sheaths and could use your input. THANKS TRAV Never mind i just read page two :head_hurts_kr:

Edited by Trav

rickeyfro, that sounds just right - you've saved me a lot of time!

Julia

Hi Julia,

I got my extension from here: http://caswellplating.com/buffs/shaft.htm

and I also found them here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=46622 for quite a bit cheaper.

Please shoot me a message if and when your maker is producing those burnishing pieces... Thank you!

Peter

I also got this chuck http://caswellplating.com/buffs/chuck.htm...

because the burnishing tool will require a long 1/2" threaded bolt that will allow for the length of the tool, I will chuck a 1/2" x 4 - 6" threaded bolt in this so I can use this wood tool.

Grizzly also carries quite a bit of gear for mandrel based tools as well as ones that attach directly to a motor like a drill chuck.

Regards,

Ben

Just for safety sake, I wouldn't recommend using Snakewood for such a project.Besides being expensive, it is very prone to cracking and splitting, thus being very dangerous on moving machinery.Lignum Vitae or Cocobolo would be much better choices.Dave

Peterk, the problem I envision with chucking this burnisher rather than running an arbor shaft all the way through it is wobble at the end. Please let us know if this method works for you.

Meanewhile, I'm going to go to an old electric motor shop in town Monday - the guy there will probably know where to find or how to make what I (we) need. Then it's back to the woodturner at Woodcraft to make a lignum vitae burnisher.

Peterk, the problem I envision with chucking this burnisher rather than running an arbor shaft all the way through it is wobble at the end. Please let us know if this method works for you.

Not PeterK but I can assure you after making several variations of these both chucked and arbored that when you place the lag bolt in the chucked type, cut the head off and then turn it on the lathe with a chuck and live center that it is fairly true.

I only have one that wobbles and it is a larger diameter one that DOES NOT have a metal shaft. Over time the chuck will "eat" these hardwoods and make it wobble. The chucked ones with lag bolts in them does not have this issue.

Regards,

Ben

Thanks, Ben - good to know. That opens up a lot more possibilities!

Julia

Would a burnishing wheel made out of metal (aluminum, brass, stainless) work or does it have to be made of wood? Thanks!

Karl