DavidL

Dye Edges How To Avoid Getting Dye On The Grain Or Flesh Side?

Has anyone manage to not get dye on the face side or flesh side when dyeing the edges? I haven't found the right tool (round awl, foam, edge roller) or the right technique to dye correctly.

Any tips?

Has anyone manage to not get dye on the face side or flesh side when dyeing the edges? I haven't found the right tool (round awl, foam, edge roller) or the right technique to dye correctly.

Any tips?

Yes, you can get a Q-tip, dip it in the dye and roll the dye onto the edges of your leather with the Q-tip.....I have always used this method, and while there may be faster ways to dye edges, this method offers you a ton of control....hope this helps!!

Bob Park sells refillable pens that are basically large felt tip markers. You can put your dye in the pen and use that to dye the edges. I don't do this very often (read almost never) because I lace my items but if I was to do this often it's probably how I would do it. There are times that I want to darken the leather under the lacing so it doesn't contrast with the lacing when/if it shows through and to do that I use a sharpie. It works well and I find it very easy to control.

Angelus makes a little "pen" for those narrow areas (two sizes). For anything above about 6 oz leather, a wool dauber (comes with 4 oz bottles of dye, or you can buy them separately) works well as anything.

If you're ordering from Springfield leather anyway, they carry them there http://springfieldleather.com/36993/Pen%2CDyeliner%2CBroad-Tip/

But as you see, they mark them up quite a bit

https://www.turtlefeathers.net/shop/dye-liner-broad/

https://www.turtlefeathers.net/shop/dye-liner-fine/

Edited by JLSleather

Well David you saved me some money when you said the edge roller didn't work. I'm going to try the pens because I'v been doing this 4 years and leeave my edges undyed because of fear of getting the dye on the front or back. Thanks, Cheryl

Any tips?

David when you mention edge roller do yo mean the craftool type rollers like the one below? I've been considering one of these but not sure if they are any good.

mIGcG2aSHP8NkTvW_POo3Ug.jpg

Edited by Petewon

i was thinking about the tool below. when I wrote I haven't found the right tool I was talking about I haven't found the right tool to buy. I don't own it but it looks like it could work. I would probably need more opinions before I make a decision or just take the chance that it will work well.

A round awl I found works well , but very slowly. I am playing around with the idea of applying aussie conditioner on the grain and so that I can rub off the dye if it hits anything other part other than the edge.

http://elfitakorea.blogspot.ae/2013/09/edge-dyeing-roller.html

Well David you saved me some money when you said the edge roller didn't work. I'm going to try the pens because I'v been doing this 4 years and leeave my edges undyed because of fear of getting the dye on the front or back. Thanks, Cheryl

I don't believe I specifically said the words "they didn't work" or even insinuated they did not work.If you misunderstood the post I apologize. Anyways, I hope u find the right tool after 4 years. Im sure there are many other ideas on what you can do when you read the opinions in this thread.

Edited by DavidL

I meant didn't work for you. There are people who freehand their edges but I'll never be one f those people :) Cheryl

With my hand tremors, edge finishing is the bane of my existence. If anyone finds a tool that actually works, Ill buy one as well.

David someone recommended the edge roller to mee. I thought you said you'd already tried it. I just bought those fiebings sharpies where you add your own dye and going to give them a shot at 3.50 before I buy that edge roller from Tandy for 30.00. Colt my hands are very shaky too which is why I'm looking for things also. I'll let you folks know if these pens work for someone without a natural talent. Cheryl

I've been using the Dye-Liner brand felt pens for some time now, they make it a breeze to apply edge dye and it's a very convenient tool for short bouts of dye application. Be sure to get a couple of the eye droppers they sell for loading the dye into the pen - that cuts down on the mess greatly.

To avoid problems with hand tremors, you may need to adjust your application process by say, putting the leather flat on a piece of paper so you can rest the tip on the paper and slide it down the edge as opposed to doing it freehand. That should give you more control over the process.

Table top edge rollers work really well, I don't use one cause I just don't do enough inventory, but I know of a lot of small batch guys that swear by it, it looks like the thing restaurants use to butter bread, like this one, can't speak to if the Tandy one is crap... or if you should look to another brand. http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/product/table-top-edge-dyeing-roller-3010-00.aspx

I've had problems in the past (also from shaky hands) I've tried the pens which I'm not too happy with, although they do work. My method now is to buy the smallest wool daubers that Tandy makes. I use a lighter to burn the dauber until it's about half consumed. Then I take a cloth and wipe away the char. What is left is a perfect applicator. The fibers of the dauber are all tight and even so there's not a stray fiber waiting to ruin everything, the dauber collects enough of the dye to make a long even sweep along the edge without having to stop and dip every half inch or so. I don't have to go over and over a spot because the pen isn't flowing properly. Of all the methods I've tried, it accomplishes the best even application

Wrap a paint stir stick with a 100% cotton t-shirt, tight so there are no wrinkles on the face. Then, place your piece on the edge of a table so just the leather edge to be dyed sticks out past the table. Weigh/clamp/tack/staple down your piece. While applying the dye, run your finger along the edge of the table. This applies dye in a thin controllable line. Another layer of t-shirt will add "nap" and let you apply a wider line.

Tom I bought two pens as soon as they were mentioned. I used the fine on an edge and it kept slipping (I was using it from the side because I got frustrated with the pace of dying with the tip) and ended up getting dye all over. I ordered a dropper so I can fill it better and I'm going to try it again but I don't think they are going to work for me. I am so frustrated with this whole search for a way to dye edges.....But it's nice to knw I'm not alone. Cheryl

Nuttish I bought some similar to those from turtle feathers and I used the fine point the first time and kept missing the edge and drawing on thee grain or back. I am not sure anyone except those of us that experience shaky hands understand how this is not an easy fix. I am so frustrated. Cheryl

I've experimented with dozens of ways to apply the edge dye and sealers. I started out with a wool dauber that I torched and melted down to a hard "pellet". Worked OK, but the metal "stick" was hard to hold.

Then I tried some felt. I used the felt pads that you stick to the bottom of furniture legs. I cut small squares. folded in half and held in a clothes pin to apply.

I now use foam tipped makeup applicators I got from Sally's beauty supply. These work great, but I wish I could find the ones with the longer handles. I can use a paper towel to wick the excess liquid out when I finish and I can use a dauber 10 or 15 times on each end before they fail. That with the Fiebings edge lacquer. The spirit based dye seems to eat them up a little faster, but I seldom apply that anyway..

Here's a pic of what I use.

post-14889-0-65854800-1440527706_thumb.j

I've had reasonably good results with the Tandy hand roller. If you are lucky you can get it on sale for less than the $30.

I say "reasonably" because I've had instances when the ribs on the brass roller tip left ridges on soft chrome tanned leather (I use Weaver edge dye which is pretty thick). That can be avoided by loading the tip with a just the right amount of edge dye and not pressing too hard on the edge of the leather as you roll it on.

Other than that it's the best solution for dyeing edges I've come across, but I have only used manual tools, not a tabletop roller. That would include a small sculpture spatula, Q-tips and pieces of thick felt held in a clothespin, which all had their own limitations in my hands.

Michelle

depending on the type of leather and its surface you might be able to use white electric type or maybe plastic wrap to cover the areas around the edges you want to dye. if you try this i would test on a scrap of your leather to make sure that 1. dye doesnt bleed, 2. whatever you use to cover the leather doesnt pull the leather and tear it.. i tried white electric tape with varying success (worked on one thin leather i had but not on another distressed leather piece). i also tried blue painters masking tape but that bled .. i ended up liking the pattern the edge paint made and decided to use it anyway.

Edited by jhw

There are times that I want to darken the leather under the lacing so it doesn't contrast with the lacing when/if it shows through and to do that I use a sharpie. It works well and I find it very easy to control.

hi bob, question for you about using sharpies, did you have to set the sharpie ink in any way after it dried or did the color hold? i have been trying various markers and really like how they look but am wondering if i need to set them somehow .. i would rather not because setting might stiffen the edges and i prefer to keep them soft and pliable Edited by jhw

hi bob, question for you about using sharpies, did you have to set the sharpie ink in any way after it dried or did the color hold? i have been trying various markers and really like how they look but am wondering if i need to set them somehow .. i would rather not because setting might stiffen the edges and i prefer to keep them soft and pliable

I'v never had to do anything on an edge to make the ink stay, however in my case it's going to be covered mostly by lacing. I have used Sharpies to color letters and found that when a wiped on Wyosheen (same as Clear Lac or Neat Lac) it did take a little of the ink off. That's the only time I've had a problem with the ink coming off. And after a thin coat of Wyosheen the ink seemed very sealed. I put thin coats of this on all my notebooks and it doesn't have any problems flexing, as long as you keep the coat thin.

Hope this helps,

Bob

I'v never had to do anything on an edge to make the ink stay, however in my case it's going to be covered mostly by lacing. I have used Sharpies to color letters and found that when a wiped on Wyosheen (same as Clear Lac or Neat Lac) it did take a little of the ink off. That's the only time I've had a problem with the ink coming off. And after a thin coat of Wyosheen the ink seemed very sealed. I put thin coats of this on all my notebooks and it doesn't have any problems flexing, as long as you keep the coat thin.

Hope this helps,

Bob

thank you Bob! that definitely helps. Edited by jhw