Eccho

What Rotary Cutter Do You Like Best?

I have been doing all of my cutting with an Olfa snap blade knife since I began. However I went to a lacing class last week and though the lesson was simple it was very informative, Even though I still don't know how to braid with two colors:>) The thing that impressed me, was how easy it was to cut a very fine, straight cut, using a rotary cutter. I had never used one before but now I want one, and I only want one. Olfa makes many sizes and handle positions, but I thought I would get some first hand knowledge from some of you that have been using them. Is there one you would suggest over the Olfa? While price is always important, in this case I hope to have it for years, so the expense would be one time, since I am assuming I can keep the blade honed up on the buffing wheel and strop. So lets hear some opinions.

I haven't tried any other brands other than olfa. Fiskar is one I see other than olfa. I can say though the olfa 45mm with the lock is great. The handle is sort of large and I will like to try the olfa 60mm in a less bulky handle, maybe someone may have a custom wooden handle for an olfa for sale. To me the handle blocks the view of what you are cutting.

I have an Olfa and a Fiskar 45mm and both are about the same. As long as the blade is sharp. Just don't force the blade.

The 45mm is a good general purpose size, but the large the blade, the less of a curve you can make. So a 60mm can do less curve and the 28mm can do tighter turns. I think Fiskars has a 45mm in a standard and a heavy duty for heavier cuts.

You can also buy sharpeners for the blades.

Later

My wife is a quilter, so I've used quite a few. My go to is a 45mm Olfa, but for long, straight cuts, the 60 is hard to beat. You can get an Olfa at micheals or hobby lobby with a coupon.

I did some work with denim and other fabrics some time ago and bought two Olfa rotary cutters - the 60 and 28mm version - for that. Then I stopped working with fabrics and focused solely on leather, so the rotary cutters weren't used for some time until I did a bit of work with elk leather which is very spongy and actually rather hard to cut.

So accidentally I started to use them again and they are my go to knives when working with upholstery and soft leathers. The big one for long straight cuts and the small one for cutting curves. So I would recommend getting both.

I also used the 45mm Tandy copy where I used to work, but honestly didn't like it compared to both Olfa and the sizes I had at home.

The Fiskar 45mm is my goto knife. I want to get a 60mm to see if its any better.

I have several lying around, three 45mm (The one from Tandy, one Olfa, and one Fiskars), one 60mm Olfa, and one 45mm Fiskars that I put a pinking blade in for when I cut waxed canvas to keep it from fraying. With only one, I always found myself looking for it and could never find it when I needed it, so over the years I have accumulated quite a few. Much like the many pairs of scissors that I have. It also helps that I always buy them with a 40%, 50%, or even 60% off coupon at Joann's. They are pretty much the same IMO, I really don't see a difference in how they handle regardless of the design. The key is to have a sharp blade. When you have a new or sharp blade the rotary cutter will cut like butter.

Speaking of cutting like butter: I placed a new 45mm blade in my Fiskars last Wednesday and proceeded to cut a slice out of my pointing finder from my knuckle to the bottom of my fingernail. Took 26 stitches to close the wound. I was done for the rest of the week needless to say after that mishap. I use a metal ruler and for the life of me can't even understand how it happened, I really only remember the sounds that came out of my mouth, so make sure you are extra careful.

Karina

Edited by veedub3

I have all three sizes, but almost always use the 60mm. Over time, I have tried most of the different makes but always come back to Olfa. (Maybe I am just too used to them?) The 60mm blade will stay sharp longer because of the longer circumference.

Thank you too all. I have just returned from Michaels, with a 60 and a 28, since I may want to cut some tight angles. I tried the 60 on some crushed leather and was very pleased with the result. Due to the stretch of crushed leather it was always a problem to cut with a straight blade as the very action of cutting it pulled the leather out of shape. I'm a happy camper...........it must be part of getting old that makes me take so long to find out there is an easier way to do most things. Stubborn????? nah