Hello! I'm a new-ish leatherworker. I'm making leather wristbands as a fundraiser. I've gotten the hang of the process and am happy with my results so far. However, I'm having problems with the wristband leaving a mark on my skin in high humidity, on sweaty skin.

Here is my process (I wait 12 hours between each step):

1. Tool onto 6/7 oz. leather

2. Dye with Fiebings alcohol-based dye

3. Neatsfoot oil on both sides (since the alcohol dries out my leather a lot, but I prefer the deeper dying of the alcohol-based dyes)

4. Seal with Fiebings Acrylic Resolene (for a long-lasting protection)

5. Attach snaps

Since I'm doing this as a fundraiser, I can't afford to spend any more on other materials. Can anyone offer advice on how to prevent color transfer onto skin, possibly just by adjusting my process? Thanks in advance- this community is a wealth of information!

After dyeing, let it dry. The buff the shit out of it with a soft rag like a sock. Buff it until the cloth stops picking up pigment. The you can give it a little wipe with a damp cloth and see how much the dye is still bleeding. Buff again with a dry cloth if necessary.

Move on to step 3. You may see that neatsfoot oil loosens up some dye. let that dry for a good day and then buff again. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Then seal.

Thanks for the help, I will follow your advice. Very helpful!