Tallbald

Good Make And Style Of Leather Shears?

I've been using dressmakers shears but they aren't the right tool for the job, and I would like to price a good pair of shears for trimming up to say 8/9 ounce veg tanned hide on project corners etc. A search on "shears" isn't helping a lot as discussions I found aren't about choosing a set. Thoughts please? And thank you. Don.

I bought a pair at Tandy in the cities, around $40 - 50. I think it was their pro model. Very nice I use them a lot. they have serrated blades. While this helps hold to the leather when cutting you do have to keep them square to the leather or they will wonder a little. they have been thru many hides and still going strong.

Thank you! Don.

Osborne EZ Shears http://www.csosborne.com/no708.htms Is the best that ever been made. Looks like an ordinary Shears, but this will cut 3 mm vegan leather like butter. There are copies made that work well too. Here is the Original tool http://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_2&product_id=270

Tor

Hey thank you! I see that the hinge bolt is positioned much closer to the cutting surface than fabric shears, for leverage I am thinking. Don.

I had mine for many years now and it still cut thick leather like butter, it's for sure the best there is. On the picture it looks like a normal shears, but it has thick powerful jaws. To find something that cut thicker leather than this, then it must have geared mechanism or very long handles. I am surprised it's still do not cost more money, but I guess it's because there are so many copies around. The Craftool version of this shears cost 70,60 US$ in Tandy´'s European website.

And I am general surprised that so many choose to buy coiped/cloned tools at shops like Tandy when the real things are available elsewhere and sometimes much cheaper too. I would prefer the original EZ cut by Osborne even if it was three times the price of the Craftool one. Here the copy cost twice the original tool? Difficult choice, I do not think so.

One more example: The CS. Osborne # 84 splitting/skiving machine (or Campbell Randall Keystone splitter that is the same machine). Costs between 550 and 600 $ (@ Zack White or @ Campbell Randall) and clones go for over 700 $, even a Chinese made improved Osborn # 83 clone cost more than 600 $ (that is a smaller model).

It's important that there are companies that sell inexpensive tools for beginners. However, keep it real.

Always do some searching and ask in the forum before buying more expensive tools.

It's important to support the old tool makers that make the good stuff, there are not many around anymore. English J Dixon tools stopped trading last year, so in Europe it's only the Blanchard company left.

Good luck.

Tor

Trox you make very good points. Thank you for responding, and i shall choose wisely. Don.

Gingher and Wiss are the big names in leather shears. Osborne sells Wiss, I believe. They come in sizes ranging from 6" - 12" or so.

I have two pairs of leather scissors and they are both "Wilkinson Sword" made in Sheffield England.

Fantastic to cut heavy veg with and everything else.

They should be regularly tickled up with a diamond file just to keep a very keen edge. Never cut anything else except thread and leather. Don't loan them out either.

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"