Hemiorange

How Difficult To Make Tactical Gear, Back Packs, And Sew 1000 Cordura?

I have been playing around on a home machine and can sew a straight line. I would like to start a business making tactical gear such as pouches, web belts, check rigs, and back packs. How difficult is this? I realize that I need a commercial walking foot machine. How long would it take to be able to sew this stuff? Some have told me that it's like running any other tool such as a saw. Others have said that it takes years of practice. Any info would be greatly appreciated before I drop 2,000 on a machine. Having difficulty finding any used machines that aren't either broken or near the price of a new unit.

There is a large learning curve between just "making a piece of tactical gear" and "making a piece of tactical gear people are willing to pay for"...there's also a LOT more to making tactical gear than just operating a sewing machine.

I made my first canvas and webbing pouches with an ordinary industrial flat bed Consew 210. I put a smaller pulley on it to reduce the speed to something manageable, and it did an acceptable job. Not as good as the walking foot machine I have now, but acceptable.

Best way to learn is to come up with a design pattern, and sew it. Then sew that design again. It's the practice what does it every time. Then once you've done that, work out on paper what you want to make, check out the materials you need, and what people are using, and why.

As to the time it takes to sew stuff once you've practised enough to feel comfortable with your sewing machine, it all depends on how well you make the item.

Cheap and tacky can be knocked out quickly, but if you want to get a good name, you need to maintain a top quality, not be shy about asking people what they really want/need, and be prepared to change your design to suit them. Try out your design, and get a few friends to use it. The weak points will soon become apparent.

All this while juggling the time it takes to build something, with the practical cost of producing an item. As has been said, there's more to it than just sewing the gear together.

Just to add, not trying to put you off, just marking some little milestones you'll need to pass.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

If you have to ask, forget it

Maybe it's just me..........but I thought this forum was here for folks to ask questions and get help..........not to be told if they have to ask forget it. :dunno:

I think his point was that if you have to ask these questions, you are nowhere even near ready to try something like this...and he's correct. That's not being mean. It's the truth.

Basically the same as I was trying to get across in my post, but zuludog put it better than I did.

If you want a direct answer, you'll need to devote a lot of time and effort into mastering the machinesame used to do this as well as learning how to actually design and construct this stuff. That doesn't happen overnight. It takes a solid investment of time and energy to do this and I'd expect a minimum of a couple of years ardent study would need to be put in before beginning to understand these things. Not the answer anyone wants to hear, but that doesn't make it mean or untrue.

So yes, if someone is asking these questions then no, they aren't anywhere close to ready to try this. I mean, I guess you can try, but don't get upset and frustrated when you realize when you start running into problems.

Alright, perhaps I was a bit harsh, and I thank 25b for explaining my point very well

If you want to start a business making items from leather, wood, fabric, metal, and so on you should already have a thorough knowledge of & skill with all the tools, equipment, materials & techniques, so that you can make a handbag, necklace or whatever standing on your head without even thinking about it

99 times out of 100 you will have been making small items for friends & family as a hobby, for free at first, gradually expanding by word of mouth till you start to receive requests & small commissions, and in return you will be able to charge; just for materials at first, till you have the confidence to charge for your skill.

Eventually you will reach the stage where your chosen work becomes more & more dominant till it takes over from your regular employment, and you must then decide if you want to set it up as a serious business, possibly part - time, or, as they say, give up the day job

By that stage you should have an established network of contacts, suppliers, & outlets, on a regular & familiar basis

How are you going to sell the stuff? Internet? Wholesalers? or just hawking it round the stores yourself? If you think you've found a niche market, remember that it is by definition very small

A friend tried to make waterproof clothing for hikers. She had already been through these stages, but when she wanted to expand she found that the large established manufacturers could wholesale a finished jacket cheaper than she could buy the materials

Know anything about Finance, Insurance? Litigation? Tax? Not to mention building up a good reputation for both quality and reliability of supply. No-one is going to place a $5,000 order with someone they've never heard of, have never seen any of their work, and who has never made anything before

If you don't even know what kind of sewing machine you want, or how long it would take to make something, I suggest you are a long way off starting a business, and my estimate is that it would take at least 5 years to get to that stage

By all means keep it as an ambition or long term goal, but learn to walk before you can run

Edited by zuludog

Yes, sewing well is surprisingly more difficult than one would think but with determination and a lot of practice and patience you may need about a year. There are edge guides and servo motors and speed reducers that will help a lot as well as youtube and this site.