front.jpg

back.jpg

inside.jpg

Just finished up this bag for a customer. My first women item. She wanted a tote style business bag but she may need it as a carry-all. I built this one differently than other bags. This one is lined with a horsehair canvas and top layered with a beautiful purple Japanese Bemberg. The Bemberg is stronger than silk and breathes better than cotton allowing the leather air. This was a steal from how custom handmade men's suit jackets are made. I borrowed this technique from my clothing days and it really worked out nice. The bag has a nice structure to it with out using heavy or stiff leather. I tried bag stiffener inserts before, but tore them out, I didn't like the feel.

The outer shell is an Italian pull-up leather 2/3 oz. those of you that have used pull-ups before know how soft that is. The other pieces are constructed with Herrmann Oak veg-tan. Like the corner bumps, helps give the bag more protection from scraps and added structure. I'm most proud of the handles. I think the style and structure came out great. I also like the belted top, keeps the bag from fully opening if you hold it by one handle.

Finally, she wanted a "Coach" style plaque on the front of the bag. After calling every trophy shop in town, no one wanted to make me one... they would make me 100 but not one since I needed "not the standard plaque". I found an old nerd technique online how tech folks would make their own PCB boards. I used this method on solid brass with some metal stain and it came out awesome.

All the leather is hand sewn saddle stitched with Tiger Thread. I went down to the smallest I could find. 0.6mm. Has I nice feminine look.

Kind of a mix between a doctor bag, hunter bag, in a tote style. Dimensions are 18" wide x 15" tall x 4" depth

WoW that is cool. You said you hand stitched the bag I thought with a thin leather you were suppose to avoid saddle stich, well garment leather that is.

Thanks @windrider30 for the kind words. I could see with 2/3oz total weight a saddle stitch could pull through. But the bag has several layers sewn together most with veg tan on each side like the top or the inside canvas being penetrated. I figure that's 6-8 oz total sewn together conservatively.

front.jpg

back.jpg

inside.jpg

Just finished up this bag for a customer. My first women item. She wanted a tote style business bag but she may need it as a carry-all. I built this one differently than other bags. This one is lined with a horsehair canvas and top layered with a beautiful purple Japanese Bemberg. The Bemberg is stronger than silk and breathes better than cotton allowing the leather air. This was a steal from how custom handmade men's suit jackets are made. I borrowed this technique from my clothing days and it really worked out nice. The bag has a nice structure to it with out using heavy or stiff leather. I tried bag stiffener inserts before, but tore them out, I didn't like the feel.

The outer shell is an Italian pull-up leather 2/3 oz. those of you that have used pull-ups before know how soft that is. The other pieces are constructed with Herrmann Oak veg-tan. Like the corner bumps, helps give the bag more protection from scraps and added structure. I'm most proud of the handles. I think the style and structure came out great. I also like the belted top, keeps the bag from fully opening if you hold it by one handle.

Finally, she wanted a "Coach" style plaque on the front of the bag. After calling every trophy shop in town, no one wanted to make me one... they would make me 100 but not one since I needed "not the standard plaque". I found an old nerd technique online how tech folks would make their own PCB boards. I used this method on solid brass with some metal stain and it came out awesome.

All the leather is hand sewn saddle stitched with Tiger Thread. I went down to the smallest I could find. 0.6mm. Has I nice feminine look.

Kind of a mix between a doctor bag, hunter bag, in a tote style. Dimensions are 18" wide x 15" tall x 4" depth

The bag is beautiful. Where can A person buy pull-up leather ?

Excellent work

Wow! Very nice! Love the lining. Overall Beautiful Bag.