Ferg

Cutting Hole For Cell Phone Camera

I don't think I am the only one needing to cut the hole for camera and flash in leather cases for Cell phones.

Didn't have much luck finding any stock Hole Punch that would work and I am sure, to have one custom made would be too expensive.

Decided to make one.

I used a piece of 1/2" metal thin wall conduit. You could clamp the end of the tube in a bench vise, I used a special type of Vise Grip, to slowly clamp the end close to the dimensions you need. I then inserted a piece of 5/16" x 1/2" solid brass into the crimped end. Using a flat headed steel hammer I continued to shape the tube to what I need for a Cell Phone. Ground a bevel at about 60 degrees on the outside of the crimped end to almost sharp then continued sharpening with a stone. Finished the edge on my leather strop. Cuts perfect. My first attempt at making one of these isn't exactly right on one side, will make another and correct that.

Enclosed photos:

post-15740-0-27907100-1439303350_thumb.jpost-15740-0-38581500-1439303360_thumb.j

ferg

I had the piece of conduit. I really only needed a hole for my iPhone. lol

Most of those shapes on e-bay can be made for next to nothing from readily available material.

Too old to buy much on e-bay I guess.

ferg

On 8/11/2015 at 9:47 PM, Ferg said:

I had the piece of conduit. I really only needed a hole for my iPhone. lol

Most of those shapes on e-bay can be made for next to nothing from readily available material.

Too old to buy much on e-bay I guess.

ferg

You don't have to old timer, you have the skill and the smarts. It's guys like you that help the rest of us along. 

jim

I picked up a set off wish,com 10 bucks US.