Sasse

Finishing Edges Of Deer/elk/horse Hides

Hello, I'm somewhat new to leather working....with veg tanned cow hide that is. I've used deer and elk hide over the years to make bags, moccasins, clothing, etc. Now I want to get away from the Native American style leatherwork I have been doing and going to more traditional leatherwork. I still have a supply of deer and elk hide and wonder about making items from it, for instance, journal covers.

I wonder how to finish the edges so they don't look so rough. I tried edge trimming but the hide is soft and stretchy and doesn't seem to work. Sanding and rubbing the edges seems to make them 'fur' up.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

You can use an edge paint that can be heated so that it goes into the leather and holds well, but for most stuff just a good edge paint and not heating is pretty good too. Video here. Giardini makes good paint, they have videos here. You can get samples direct from Giardini on their website.

One of our members Matt T carries some of the Giardini edge paints in his Lekoza Store.

Art

Just to save anyone any excitement, that place wants $36.24 to ship their "free" sample to you if you are in the United States.

Oh, and I highly recommend Matt T...while you're buying edge paint from him, make sure and get some thread too...it's good stuff!

Edited by 25b

You might try a folded edge for deer and elk hide.

Well then buying it from Lekoza (Matt T) is a no brainer.

Art

post-64237-0-82903500-1440436530_thumb.jThank you. For my first project I decided to use some ratty chrome tanned cow hide someone gave me. I made a notebook cover for a rustic sort of guy so if my results looked rustic it would fit right in.