kkikoss

Write On Leather Strap

Hello i am new in forum. Congratulations for your good work and the good information that you have in forum. Your information helps me very much.

I have one problem. I make leather straps for watches and I would like to write on leather few words on the interior side of the straps that this side come in touch with the wrist skin of my client. Initially I thought to use a refillable pen that put in it black fiebing oil dye pro, but I couldnt find any pen with thin lead.

Can you help me? Can you tell a specific solution? I would like the ink does not come out from the leather and to soil the wrist of my client. What is your opinion?

Thanks

Angelus do one like that for their dye, it's in 2 versions, chisel tip and fine tip.

Angelus do one like that for their dye, it's in 2 versions, chisel tip and fine tip.

Hello my friend RavenAus , thank you very much for your time and your answer.

I have seen them, i want one with thinner tip like this

IMG_7272.jpeg

That I can't help with, I've only seen the Angelus ones, sorry. Maybe get a pen like that and flood it with dye?

That I can't help with, I've only seen the Angelus ones, sorry. Maybe get a pen like that and flood it with dye?

Yes, but I couldn't find any "empty" or refillable pen like this.:-(

Edited by kkikoss

Why not try the Uni-ball 207 pens? They are the ones with the special ink that is resistant to oil, bleach, water, etc. For check fraud purposes. They get high reviews adn are available for about 3 dollars apiece at office supply stores. They have various widths and colors.

Why not try the Uni-ball 207 pens? They are the ones with the special ink that is resistant to oil, bleach, water, etc. For check fraud purposes. They get high reviews adn are available for about 3 dollars apiece at office supply stores. They have various widths and colors.

Hello my friend! Thank you for your answer. Are you sure for uni-ball 207? I would like the ink does not come out from the leather and to soil the wrist of my client. ( I would like to write on leather few words on the back side of the straps )

Burn it in with a leather/wood burner

Burn it in with a leather/wood burner

Hello DS straps , how are you man? Thanks for your help. i would not want to burn it because i would like to write caligraphy letters or draws etc

One more question for you: on the back side of straps use resolene or tan kote finish to keep the color on leather? Thanks

I'd try registrar's ink (iron gall ink) and a dip pen or cheap refillable fountain pen. No bleed as it is a chemical reaction just like vinegroon. Not sure if the leather surface would need prep similar to parchment, I've only used it on paper stationary.

Hello i am new in forum. Congratulations for your good work and the good information that you have in forum. Your information helps me very much.

I have one problem. I make leather straps for watches and I would like to write on leather few words on the interior side of the straps that this side come in touch with the wrist skin of my client. Initially I thought to use a refillable pen that put in it black fiebing oil dye pro, but I couldnt find any pen with thin lead.

Can you help me? Can you tell a specific solution? I would like the ink does not come out from the leather and to soil the wrist of my client. What is your opinion?

Thanks

would it always be the same words? If so than you would have a metal stamp made to say what you want and either stamp it into the watch band or Heat Stamp it. A hot stamp would leave a permanent impression and not rub off on skin or clothing. At the right temperature a hot stamp could leave an impression but not burn it. Just a thought.

I'd try registrar's ink (iron gall ink) and a dip pen or cheap refillable fountain pen. No bleed as it is a chemical reaction just like vinegroon. Not sure if the leather surface would need prep similar to parchment, I've only used it on paper stationary.

Hello mate , if you can please send me a link with pen that you say me. Thank you !!

would it always be the same words? If so than you would have a metal stamp made to say what you want and either stamp it into the watch band or Heat Stamp it. A hot stamp would leave a permanent impression and not rub off on skin or clothing. At the right temperature a hot stamp could leave an impression but not burn it. Just a thought.

Hello!!! thank you for your time.

Not always the same words. please take a look at these pictures:

check 74

DSCF1369.jpg

and

http://rs864.pbsrc.com/albums/ab206/andrema_bucket/Zelos/Combat%20Straps%20-%20Tan/0a126893-8337-4bd2-8be5-fe10f18b7b37_zps48509ff4.jpg~320x480

Edited by kkikoss

http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=20

Diamine Registrar's Ink, blue-black.

I use a cheap flex fountain pen when I write with it. Just out of curiosity, I dug my bottle and pen out and did a test on some scrap. I'll upload the pictures shortly.

thank you my friend. can i use and fiebing dye oil pro?

I just read about the "sharpies" pens, what do you think?

thank you my friend. can i use and fiebing dye oil pro?

I just read about the "sharpies" pens, what do you think?

Can't say, I've never had to write on leather.

Here's the results of my little experiment. You'll have to forgive the lighting and poor penmanship.

post-5175-0-73048600-1439601013_thumb.jp

Wetted down with water.

post-5175-0-27477500-1439601029_thumb.jp

Rubbed with a paper towel. No pigment, so no rub off, like vinegaroon.

post-5175-0-92174200-1439601057_thumb.jp

I didn't prep the leather. The pen point was a bit sharp, but I think this ink would work in a refillable felt tip or brush style pen, if you prefer that over steel nibs.

post-5175-0-34696700-1439601127_thumb.jp

And 45 minutes later. It will get slightly darker with time.

post-5175-0-79118900-1439601566_thumb.jp

Edited by ScottyEvil

Can't say, I've never had to write on leather.

Here's the results of my little experiment. You'll have to forgive the lighting and poor penmanship.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150814_203122311.jpg

Wetted down with water.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150814_203236206.jpg

Rubbed with a paper towel. No pigment, so no rub off, like vinegaroon.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150814_203320040.jpg

I didn't prep the leather. The pen point was a bit sharp, but I think this ink would work in a refillable felt tip or brush style pen, if you prefer that over steel nibs.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150814_204344311.jpg

And 45 minutes later. It will get slightly darker with time.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150814_211606366.jpg

Thank you!!!!,Your photos help me very much!

Is your pen? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Noodlers-Ink-Ahab-Flex-Piston-Fountain-Pen-Demo-/231516166629?hash=item35e77059e5

Diamine Registrar's Ink, is blue or black? i want black

Edited by kkikoss

The ink slowly turns black over time, it is dependant on how strong the chemical reaction is. The pen is similar to what I have.

The ink slowly turns black over time, it is dependant on how strong the chemical reaction is. The pen is similar to what I have.

did you ever try to put fiebing black oil pro dye in your pen?

m2HvHrYN0STFXeYLVPn3E0A.jpg

did you ever try to put fiebing black oil pro dye in your pen? m2HvHrYN0STFXeYLVPn3E0A.jpg

No, fountain pens are designed with water based inks in mind. For alcohol based ink, or dye in this case, there are refillable felt tip pens.

http://www.gouletpens.com/plat-cftr-250/p/Plat-CFTR-250

I'd try the ink that comes with it first, but if it runs, I'd just empty the cartridge and refill it with dye.

No, fountain pens are designed with water based inks in mind. For alcohol based ink, or dye in this case, there are refillable felt tip pens.

http://www.gouletpens.com/plat-cftr-250/p/Plat-CFTR-250

I'd try the ink that comes with it first, but if it runs, I'd just empty the cartridge and refill it with dye.

it has big tip. :-(

What do you think for this? (with fiebing dye) ---> http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Herbin-Refillable-Ink-Cartridge-Rollerball-Pen-Clear-Barrel-/391221693385?hash=item5b16a14bc9 or www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGPhwzJDmSg

or www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZALAEHuLw6s

Edited by kkikoss

Make a band put a couple of letters on with all the different things wear it and see what happens. I would try a extra fine Sharpie and see what happens it's perment ink i think.

Make a band put a couple of letters on with all the different things wear it and see what happens. I would try a extra fine Sharpie and see what happens it's perment ink i think.

Thank you for your answer!!!!

If you're looking for other refillable pen options you may want to look at a rapidograph style pen. They're used for illustration and drafting quite a bit, and have a removable chamber that you can fill/mix inks in for whatever purpose you have. They're expensive, and require some practice to work right (the pen has to be held vertical) but they make a nice clean consistent line and allow for custom ink use. I *don't* think they would work very well on the back side of leather, but would probably draw fine on the smooth face