jaeiger

High End Chrome Tanned Leather Patina

Hi all, for my next project, I'm strongly considering using Perlinger shrunken calf from fineleatherworking.com. It looks and sounds great, and I am planning on using it for a messenger bag for my own everyday use. Before I pull the trigger, though, I just want to know - can anyone with experience with this or any other high end chrome tanned leather comment on how it patinas over time? I know it's highly scratch resistant, but when inevitable wear marks start showing after years of use, how will its broken-in appearance look compared to say, bridle or harness veg tan leather goods? Will it just look cracked and unnatural, or will it darken/"scar" as veg tan products do?

Thanks!

Stuff looks great over there at FLW. I'd just ask him.

I've sent them an email and am awaiting a reply, but all the same, I'd like to know if anyone else has any experience with this. It seems that everything I read is saying chrome tanned leather doesn't develop a patina at all, and that vegetable tanned leather is the end-all be-all of leather, but I know this isn't the case for all applications, and I can't help but imagine that there's a good reason the highest end leather goods companies are using chrome tanned leather. It certainly wouldn't be because it's cheaper to make, given a) the cost of high end chrome tanned leather and B) the cost of all other components they use - they didn't get where they are by cutting corners in that regard. So, does anyone have any experience with this?

Chrome tan isn't necessarily better or worse than veg tan leather. Chrome tan can be cheaper because it is faster than veg tan. But that is just one part of the cost for tanning leather. High end leather uses better raw materials and does more work in finishing the leather. With that said, straight chrome tan leather does not tend to patina in the way that veg tan leather does. The vegetable tannins in the veg tan leather is what gives that patina that you're talking about. So if your criteria is the ability to patina then veg tan is definitely "better". Chrome tan leather tends to be softer right off the bat with a lot of different finishes and looks that can be achieved. This is one of the main reasons that high end manufacturers use it. They are looking for different qualities than age and patina. So while these leathers are very nice, you should look somewhere else if aging and patina are what you're looking for.

Andrew

Chrome tan isn't necessarily better or worse than veg tan leather. Chrome tan can be cheaper because it is faster than veg tan. But that is just one part of the cost for tanning leather. High end leather uses better raw materials and does more work in finishing the leather. With that said, straight chrome tan leather does not tend to patina in the way that veg tan leather does. The vegetable tannins in the veg tan leather is what gives that patina that you're talking about. So if your criteria is the ability to patina then veg tan is definitely "better". Chrome tan leather tends to be softer right off the bat with a lot of different finishes and looks that can be achieved. This is one of the main reasons that high end manufacturers use it. They are looking for different qualities than age and patina. So while these leathers are very nice, you should look somewhere else if aging and patina are what you're looking for.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

thank you so much for a detailed and informed post. That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!