jmkjmk2

Anyone Ever See A Stamp Like This Before? What Maker Is It?

No markings. Very heavy stamps. Made from a solid steel. Cool stamps! Just wondering if anyone had any idea on when and who made them. Came from a set where mostly all from the 1950's.

post-29230-0-29556800-1439658323_thumb.j

post-29230-0-62463100-1439658331_thumb.j

post-29230-0-90120200-1439658418_thumb.j

Put it up for sale and see what it is worth. Stop asking us to do your leg work for you.

Art

WOW.....that was pretty damn harsh. I didn't see anywhere that the OP asked what these tools were worth. All I saw was he asked if anyone had an idea of when and who they were made.

Put it up for sale and see what it is worth. Stop asking us to do your leg work for you.

Art

Sorry totally unfair and very rude

I like the discussion about odd tools

lets have more :-)

Art

+1000

I agree with Art...it looks like you're buying a bunch of stuff you don't know anything about, getting info on it from everyone else, then turning around and selling it on your website, ebay, etc.

Not very cool in my opinion...how many of these threads have you started exactly like this one over the past couple days anyway??

Edited by 25b

Art, was a little direct, however I think the reason is that the OP constantly post tools here asking the same type of questions. Then if you look on his ebay pages at the tools for sale he uses the information that has been given him in the description of the tools and uses the information for pricing. I don't know if that is good or bad as he is simply using us as a reference. We all use the web or books for referencing items we are trying to find information for. In this case he is using us to find the information for him. I guess if that is a problem rather then being surly lets just ignore him and not give him the information he is looking for. However the other edge of that sword is that I thought this was a place we could all come to for information and was not aware that there were rules as to how much information we are allowed to gather. Just food for thought.

Ok,

So, I say Ray Hackbarth made that stamp, and I know I am wrong but I just want to be an SOB (nothing new). The op uses my info to sell his tools. Is it my fault or his? It is his obviously, but the wrong info goes out about the tool and somebody pays a Hackbarth price for a Midas tool, and it will probably be a leatherworker.net member. See where this becomes dangerous? It is not technically wrong what he is doing, I just want everyone to know what he is doing, and where the pitfalls are.

Art

I really feel bad. I am so sorry If I have created a problem. I have really appreciated all I have learned about tools from Leatherworker.net. It really is a fascinating place. I often turn rookies on to the site for helpful information. I have learned a lot. I really appreciate their honesty, integrity of all those who have been willing to help and I hope I can do the same for someone else in the future.

Really -- I admire what you all do. You are all very talented and gifted individuals that I have learned from and I thank you all. ON top of that the leather work community has provided incredible friendships with very wise men and I have found them to be a very helpful group of people. It truly is a hidden gem. I can't tell you how many have offered tips on casing leather, to stropping a knife to how to finish a project. Many of my "clients" have become great friends because I help them and really I feel helped most by them.

Sorry Art and others who may have been bugged by my posts. I truly am. I'll lay off on asking about tools for a while. What you have here is a great thing and I only want to add to the value of the board. But I have to say, I love it when I come on here and someone has asked about swivel knives and/or Gomph tools or whatever and they have pictures and can tell the history of the tools. It is a beautiful history of leather tools. I wish we could somehow organize some of the great info that has been shared on this board. Simply fascinating.

Best wishes all! Hope you have a great day.

And hopefully I will have the privilege of meeting a few of you. I know it would be awesome to chat about leather tools.

Sorry Art and others who may have been bugged by my posts. I truly am. I'll lay off on asking about tools for a while. What you have here is a great thing and I only want to add to the value of the board.

I've been on the same page with Art for quite a while, but I just didn't know how to approach it. I think the pointy end of the stick is that you've only been asking what a certain tool is or who makes it and then it's quickly put up on eBay. I grumbled about it to myself and in closed circles, but didn't want to set things in motion without having a clear way to add to it constructively. If you don't have something nice to say... That's probably how it got the point it has, neither side letting the other know how they feel about it.

The problem with that is that it's felt like a one way street and we, as the community, are just getting used. I can't think of one post, short of this one, that wasn't asking a question about something going up on eBay. I, personally, felt that a constant flow of asking questions about items being sold for your own personal gain didn't add to the content of the forum. Maybe, if there was the "Contributing Member" flair to you account, it could be written off as paying back those that help you out or paying it forward. I have wanted to donate to the site, but funds have not allowed much leeway for that, so I never really felt like I could rightly use that as a valid argument. Instead, I attempted to put forth information that others might find useful. Now, Art brings up a good point in that we, the community, keep answering and you keep asking. So, who's the one to blame?

Rather than escalate the situation, I am hoping that airing it all out might help diffuse it and assist with seeing each others' point of view. I had no idea that you felt the way you do about this forum, so I have only contributed to making it the potential fire hazard it became. For that, I feel terrible and must apologize. The cat's out of the bag, may as well move forward. However, I am hoping that we can move forward, but with a different approach and less friction or animosity.

I should also apologize if I was speaking out of turn by including myself in that "we" portion of the community. Not sure how anyone else feels about what I said.

This goes back a way with leatherworker.net. There was never any idea of a class structure on leatherworker.net. To this day, money is tight at LW. The technology used to host and maintain this site is pretty heavy. More people = more blades = more storage = more backups = $$$$$. The advertisers help, but when LW was just getting going, infrastructure costs were heavy (not as bad as now), but there were zip advertisers. Thank ghod some folks wrote checks, with no benefit asked for or given. It was decided to acknowledge these folks with the tag Contributing Member, that's all they got, that's all they will ever get. The fact that you are a member here (Contributing or otherwise) just means that you are in the most important membership class. Contributing is a method of "paying forward", but Members pay forward in other ways that we see every day by helping someone along or a lot of gifts we don't see. Members pay for this site every time they post, every time they buy from an advertiser, and even though they don't realize it, every time they log in.

No member should be concerned that they can't for any reason send a donation to Leatherworker.net (any donations will however, not be returned). Just take our humble THANKS for being here.

Art