Hey guys,

I want to get more into handstitching, especially on bag handles.. Right now my handstitching doesn't look great. I've heard there are some pricking or stitching irons that you can use to punch the holes as well (as opposed to marking the leather then using an awl). I have a set which I've been using like that, but the holes don't look as clean as I'd like.. Does anyone have a recommendation for some pricking irons that would work for punching clean holes? Affordable is a plus!

I'd love to know what you expert stitchers are using..

Thanks!

Youtube.com - Nigel Armitage

Pricking iron reviews. Watch all of them.

I have the Seiwa ones and they're the best I've used.

Edited by 25b

Springfield Leather Co. Has their Finesse line of tools. Probably a good way to start. Tandy has some very nice irons, check them out too. I agree wholeheartedly with the poster above, 25b. Nigel's reviews are super and his youtube videos can't be beat. He really knows how to teach saddle stitch technique.

I think his videos are probably as close as you can get to private tutoring by him without actually going to England. They are very easy to understand, at least for me. He explains things very well and his reviews are very fair and impartial. Again, in my opinion.

Thanks all of you! I watched one of his videos recently and was really impressed with his skill and teaching ability.. I'll definitely take a look at the rest of his videos. I appreciate the fast responses; I'm anxious to start doing it right!

You can improve the stitching chisels you already have by carefully fettling or polishing the prongs with a needle file and fine wet & dry abrasive paper; glue some onto a sliver of wood like a lollipop stick

Edited by zuludog

I've got the Springfield finesse tools and they are pretty good for 6spi. I also have the tandy ones that Nigel reviewed in both 2.5 and 3.0 mm. The only issue, and Nigel makes note of this, is that there isn't a 2 prong one. However, for the price, I'm just going to buy another 4 prong of each and cut off two prongs.