cleanview

Shoulder Holster Critique

post-23581-0-20710100-1439856202_thumb.jpost-23581-0-95284500-1439856215_thumb.jpost-23581-0-25247800-1439856229_thumb.jpost-23581-0-37506300-1439856237_thumb.jpost-23581-0-83483500-1439856250_thumb.jhad some people ask me about shoulder holsters. I

I have said no on several requests in the past but decided to give a try to one.

It is from the stohlam how to make holsters book.

I have zero experience with shoulder holsters. Need some input as to how this one is. Made it out of lesser quality leather just giving it a try. I put chicago screws instead of how the book says. I did the same with the gun attachment as well. THat was a mistake since they rub the gun, but my thought was that it would let me adjust it however I wanted.

Over all I think it seems fine but I just don't know. I don't care for the shoulder carry my self, seems more cumbersome than belt wear holsters. I assume it takes some practice for the draw, Kind of have to pinch it with the left arm to get it to come out. It is not super tight just awkward to me

Input would be greatly appreciated

Looks pretty good, however when I make that pattern I extend the shoulder loop and straps. Stohlman was not a very big person. I find the pattern a little small. I like the holster to be a little further down from my arm pit.

I'm not a big shoulder holster maker, but I do them now and again.

Stohlman's design is a little dated. It would benefit from the use of modern hardware, a thumb break, a counterbalancing mag pouch, greater adjustability and belt stabilizing straps. The design I developed borrows heavily from many others, but my clients seem to like it.

tk

post-21933-0-34624600-1439863542_thumb.j

post-21933-0-67009000-1439863712_thumb.j

A wee might too high? Perhaps.

Someone once said that we rotund folks have trouble reaching around ourselves for a gun in a shoulder holster.

Nah, I can slap my arm pit or my latissimus dorsi just fine. What is problematic is reaching a gun on my left side that is as low and as far back on my hip was a left-handed strong side holster or left hand Buck Knife would be.

The old "Dirty Harry" Shoulder Holster was a grand and glorious thing for six and eight inch S&W N Frames, but for some squirrelly reason the four inch version dropped the butt of the weapon two inches.

If I wanted to wear a distant side cross draw and a pair of suspenders then that's what I'd shop for.

At any rate, that's a nice looking holster.

…..RVM45

Shoulder holsters aren't as popular as they once were, I think because of relaxed attire in the work place, not many folks wear coats and ties anymore. I've only had one ordered in the last several years. It was for a Taurus PT 709 Slim with a magazine holder under the right arm.

Chief

post-6362-0-56811200-1439873504_thumb.jp

Thanks.......I thought it was ok, but have learned the hard way that if I build for something I have no experience using......get it checked out by someone with experience..

Camano.......I remembered reading (probably your comment) about that some time ago and searched to no avail and could not find it......I extended the straps and not the loops.........I am pretty good sized and it is snug, last night a customer saw it and tried it on .....being a much bigger boy......it fit but would need extending.

Chief.....that is a good looking rig for sure. For some reason the shoulder rig has been very intimidating to me, so I started with the only pattern that I had and had read it was a good starters rig to try (someplace here in previous posts). This one will be mine that I probably will never use......but with new and intimidating things, it seems best just to make one that I have no intentions of selling.

I am supposing that the actual carry angle of the holster is different for every person, or am I wrong? How is that achieved if it is sewn on? Or is there a better way to fasten it with the ability to remove and re position it?

Thanks again

On more modern designs, you adjust the angle of carry by adjusting the lengths of the front and back straps. Modern shoulder holsters typically have pivots that hook to the straps, so that it can hang freely regardless of the length of the straps.

On more modern designs, you adjust the angle of carry by adjusting the lengths of the front and back straps. Modern shoulder holsters typically have pivots that hook to the straps, so that it can hang freely regardless of the length of the straps.

I see that.....looking again at the picture chief posted. That is very interesting .....thanks

I'm in search for one of those sewing manikins that is adjustable for that very thing. I find it hard to fit myself and design it while looking in the mirror.

I use one as do most of the guys I know who run a trap line. Wading around in swamps and creeks all day with chest waders prohibits the use of a belt holster. The problem is that most of us use a .22 pistol and there are not a lot of .22 caliber sized shoulder holsters out there.

Now finding a fat pot bellied manikin that will adjust down to a normal large sized guy too has been quite a challenge. I prefer the non boobed one too.

when i make one, i do it like malabar does, modular design so i can make different holsters, mag pouches/speed loaders, etc to be able to swap it out...for the harness, i use a butterfly design and leave the straps extra long until i can fit it to my customer...only then will i shorten the straps, but i still leave plenty of room for adjustability.

I'm not a big shoulder holster maker, but I do them now and again.

Stohlman's design is a little dated. It would benefit from the use of modern hardware, a thumb break, a counterbalancing mag pouch, greater adjustability and belt stabilizing straps. The design I developed borrows heavily from many others, but my clients seem to like it.

tk

i like the way you do the connect allowing for multiple holsters to be used with it. I would like to see your pattern. One thing I don't like being of a larger frame and caring larger guns like a XD 45 is the narrow straps most use why not make the straps larger wider where you can and taper down to the buckle size or other hardware so the straps can spread out the weight better than just the narrow straight straps they did forty to fifty years ago which were based on designs prior to the turn of the twentieth century.

That's an interesting question. There are competing ideas.

Generally speaking, you see two different styles -- wider, thinner straps, or narrower, somewhat thicker straps. I use the narrower straps because I find it easier to make them adjustable. But I'm certainly not saying that's the best way to go.

tk