jv leather crafts

How Do I Use A Two Prong Hand Spot Setter?

I bought a hand spot setter with 2 prongs or blades to set spots. But I don't know how to use it!! Looking for video or instructions. The blades are not sharp. Help please!!

Here is what i have:8714-001-0003366_m.jpg

http://www.weaverleathersupply.com/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=8714&CatalogId=001&CatalogDetailId=43&NSM=Y

Well, first, if you are punching for the small Tandy round spots, you will have to use the prongs on either side of center. The closest spacing across the middle is too wide.

Second, you need to grind or file down the prongs so they are sharper and a bit thinner.

Third, you need to heat treat/harden the prongs. Right now, they will bend.

The Leathercraft Equipment book has details on how to make different size prongs.

And.. you might want to call Weaver and see if they will send you some spare blades for the price of postage.

IMHO, it's one of my least useful tools. Great idea, but horrible execution/construction

To add to the above, that is not a setter. It is designed to punch slits into the leather for the prongs of the spot to fit into. You then use a stter or a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the prongs or tines of the spot over.

Thanks for the info. I should have researched the tool more before i bought it! I will find a use for it. ☺️

Where do i get the Leather Equipment Book?

Page 88 of Leathercraft Tools is the page you want. Personally I would purchase the actual book on this one. I find it easier to use than the Digital version. All they did was scan each page and make a huge PDF.

That tool has a lot of slop in it. The blades move every time you use it and have to be reset to the correct spacing. If you are doing round spots up to 1/2 inch, this is the next step up is. http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/8114-01.aspx. It looks like Tandy has discontinued the kit that had 4 sizes in it. The next step up from there is expensive...a hand press and dies. Last I checked with Standard rivet it was about $125 per die, but they can make one for any shape/size of spot.

I have been using the tool you have to mark where I want the spot staple legs to go or you could use a divider, and then use a single flat lacing punch to make the slots. Then I roll the legs so they point back into the leather with round nose pliers, they have to be strong for the bigger stuff, and once they are rolled, I put the leather face down on a piece of carpet over my stone and tap the legs flush into/with the leather. The carpet lets the spots sink in without scratching or flattening them but is hard enough to hammer down the legs.

Hope this helps,

Ray

Edited by ENC

I think you'll put more time and work into that punch than it is worth. Even if you are successful at setting up the prongs as described above and then you're lucky enough to have the prongs actually fit your particular spots, it's very difficult to get a row of slots to line up and be spaced right. The punch covers and obscures the area you want to punch.

Had I known you wanted to try one I'd have given you mine. I never use it. I much prefer using a ruler or even better one of Black River Laser's templates to lay out the spacing and then a good, sharp lacing punch to make the holes.

At least that's the way I see it.

Michelle

Thanks everyone!

On 8/20/2015 at 6:50 PM, ENC said:

That tool has a lot of slop in it. The blades move every time you use it and have to be reset to the correct spacing. If you are doing round spots up to 1/2 inch, this is the next step up is. http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/8114-01.aspx. It looks like Tandy has discontinued the kit that had 4 sizes in it. The next step up from there is expensive...a hand press and dies. Last I checked with Standard rivet it was about $125 per die, but they can make one for any shape/size of spot.

This is what I use now. Have the set of 4.  I use it almost exactly as shown in the Tandy video. 1st, make 4 lines with a fine sharpie on each side of the sleeve, 90 degrees apart. This gives you 2 lines to line up with the legs of the spot when you push it into the sleeve. The one of the other lines is used to point towards yourself, assuring the legs all go in the same line. 

You will likely have to spread the spot legs slightly to hold in the sleeve.

Put the leather on a piece of scrap and hit the tool, driving the spot through the leather.  It may curve the legs a bit, but you can straighten those out next.  When you get all the spots driven through, flip it over, make all legs tilt inward and set them with the domed part od the anvil.  Then you can flatten them with the flat side of the anvil.  

Done.. Really quite easy once you try it.