phinshaw

Cobra Class 18 Vs. Techsew 2700

Seems like the Cobra Class 18 and Techsew 2700 are more or less the same machine but I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys.

I was leaning towards the Techsew because it seems to be more widely used, but I'm located in Kansas City so it would be pretty easy/affordable for me to drive down to Springfield Leather Company and pick up a Cobra. I mostly plan on using the machine to sew small accessories (wallets, cardholders) made of veg-tan leather with layers adding up to between 4 and 9oz. I want something I can really slow down for precise sewing on these small items. Right now the heaviest items I'm sewing are handbag straps, some leashes and collars. I looked at the Techsew 4100 but read that 6oz is the lightest weight it will sew, so unfortunately it sounds like that machine won't work for me. I'd rather end up with multiple machines down the road than try and force everything on one. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

Edited by phinshaw

Not familiar at all with the Techsew. But I know a guy who had a cobra 18 and liked it - until something went wrong and he found the "support" less than he was led to expect. He sold that one.

For the same money, you might consider the Cowboy 3200. Lots of fellas on here can give you their opinion on that one. It will go down as low as 69 thread and an 18 needle (which i think is about as low as a leather guy needs to go) but still give you some room on the high side for your collars and such. or the 227.

Edited by JLSleather

I'm with JLS on the Cowboy 227R. I think the cylinder arm would be a lot more useful than the flat bed. You can also see if the dealer can hook-up a flat bed attachment for you, but you will find that the convenience of the cylinder arm trumps a lot of things you may initially like about the flatbed. Now, if I was doing apparel all day I might go with the flatbed, but would cuss like a sailor when I had to put a sleeve in a jacket. I have two cobra 18s, two long arms. a post and roller flatbed and myriad other machines from Landis 12s to a Singer Model 20. The cobra 18s work fine till they don't, then it is just starting from scratch to fix them. The oil tank in the 18 is an illusion, that machine must be oiled, even the hook (which is the whole idea of the oiler). Good machine, no complaints. Learn to service it yourself. In the sewing machine world, unless you have a hundred machines and hire a tech full time, don't depend on anyone, learn the DIY route.

Art

Not familiar at all with the Techsew. But I know a guy who had a cobra 18 and liked it - until something went wrong and he found the "support" less than he was led to expect. He sold that one.

For the same money, you might consider the Cowboy 3200. Lots of fellas on here can give you their opinion on that one. It will go down as low as 69 thread and an 18 needle (which i think is about as low as a leather guy needs to go) but still give you some room on the high side for your collars and such. or the 227.

Huh, I've heard a lot of good things about Cobra support, but that definitely makes me want to shy away from that machine. I've been looking into the Cowboy's but haven't found a ton of information out there. Do you happen to know if either of these machines have a minimum weight/thickness they can sew? Ideally anyway? I'm guessing the 227 would be better at handling thin jobs than the 3200. I just try to get my wallets and and cardholders as thin as possible to reduce bulk in the pocket. Oh and thanks for the feedback!

Edited by phinshaw

I'm with JLS on the Cowboy 227R. I think the cylinder arm would be a lot more useful than the flat bed. You can also see if the dealer can hook-up a flat bed attachment for you, but you will find that the convenience of the cylinder arm trumps a lot of things you may initially like about the flatbed. Now, if I was doing apparel all day I might go with the flatbed, but would cuss like a sailor when I had to put a sleeve in a jacket. I have two cobra 18s, two long arms. a post and roller flatbed and myriad other machines from Landis 12s to a Singer Model 20. The cobra 18s work fine till they don't, then it is just starting from scratch to fix them. The oil tank in the 18 is an illusion, that machine must be oiled, even the hook (which is the whole idea of the oiler). Good machine, no complaints. Learn to service it yourself. In the sewing machine world, unless you have a hundred machines and hire a tech full time, don't depend on anyone, learn the DIY route.

Art

I agree about the cylinder arm. That was part of the reason I had been leaning toward the Techsew, although it kinda looked like the Cobra flat bed might detach into a somewhat bulky arm. It looks like the Cowboy's do have a flat bed attachment for $85. Are you saying the Cobra 18's are good machines, you just have to know how to fix them? Or do you have problems with them breaking down on you quite often. Do you happen to have either a Cowboy 227R or 3200? Looking for a little more information on how thin of material they can ideally sew. Oh, and do you have any insight on the Techsew? Thanks for taking the time to help me with this!

Paige

Edited by phinshaw

Huh, I've heard a lot of good things about Cobra support, but that definitely makes me want to shy away from that machine. I've been looking into the Cowboy's but haven't found a ton of information out there. Do you happen to know if either of these machines have a minimum weight/thickness they can sew? Ideally anyway? I'm guessing the 227 would be better at handling thin jobs than the 3200. I just try to get my wallets and and cardholders as thin as possible to reduce bulk in the pocket. Oh and thanks for the feedback!

These machines are all veritable sons, grandsons, etc of the Singer 111 or 153. They can all be adjusted to sew fabric or leather down to piecing a quilt. They will not sew 2oz to 18oz without a little adjustment, mainly to the tensions, top and sometimes bottom. I leave one machine set-up for fabric, with the 135-17 needle and the other one is set-up for leather with a 135-16 tri. I treat them a little hard as they are easy to fix if something minor breaks, usually just a needle. I usually (had to say usually) put the limit at v-138 thread and 20 oz max thickness. The whole lineup is pretty good, stick with the brand names mentioned here.

Art

I agree about the cylinder arm. That was part of the reason I had been leaning toward the Techsew, although it kinda looked like the Cobra flat bed might detach into a somewhat bulky arm. It looks like the Cowboy's do have a flat bed attachment for $85. Are you saying the Cobra 18's are good machines, you just have to know how to fix them? Or do you have problems with them breaking down on you quite often. Do you happen to have either a Cowboy 227R or 3200? Looking for a little more information on how thin of material they can ideally sew. Oh, and do you have any insight on the Techsew? Thanks for taking the time to help me with this!

Paige

I do not have, nor have I sewn on a Techsew. Ron just never comes to shows down here, so I haven't got my hands on one. I have not heard a lot of complaints about them either. The cobra machines are ok, like I said, I have two 18s. The were made by Highlead (some are not), Highlead makes very good machines, overall, I am pleased with them. Cowboy has corrected any problems they had years ago and are also a very good machine. If I needed another machine in this class, I would buy a Cowboy CB227R just because of the versatility, and for an extra $85, I sure would get the table.

Art

These machines are all veritable sons, grandsons, etc of the Singer 111 or 153. They can all be adjusted to sew fabric or leather down to piecing a quilt. They will not sew 2oz to 18oz without a little adjustment, mainly to the tensions, top and sometimes bottom. I leave one machine set-up for fabric, with the 135-17 needle and the other one is set-up for leather with a 135-16 tri. I treat them a little hard as they are easy to fix if something minor breaks, usually just a needle. I usually (had to say usually) put the limit at v-138 thread and 20 oz max thickness. The whole lineup is pretty good, stick with the brand names mentioned here.

Art

Great! That all makes sense. Yeah I think it was the 4100 and 5100 Techsew's that state they have a minimum of 6oz that made me question the lighter end capabilities of these machines. That and a friend of mine has a Cobra 4 which she thought would be way too heavy duty for my needs, but that has all made more sense the more I've looked into leather sewing machines.

I'll see what more I can find out about Techsew's, maybe they're easier to get your hands on here in Missouri. Thanks for all your help! Definitely leaning towards the Cowboy CB227R. Gonna do a little more research before I pull the trigger, but it sounds like a great machine!

Thanks again,

Paige

I have a Techsew 2700. Got it about 3 years ago. No problems other than learning to set the tension with changes in leather. That goes for all machines.

Tom

I have a Techsew 2700. Got it about 3 years ago. No problems other than learning to set the tension with changes in leather. That goes for all machines.

Tom

Great! That's good to hear. I've been really attracted to this machine from the start. Thanks!

If you are sewing 8 oz (1/8") and over, up to 3/8", get the speed reduction pulleys as part of the package.

Tom

Thanks for the advice Tom!

I talked to the guys at Springfield Leather hoping they could order in a Techsew or Cowboy, but they're firm believers in the Cobra's. I've always heard great things about the Cobra 4's, but I figured I'd get something heavier down the road. I wanted to ask you guys if you think I could tune it down to sew thin wallets? I'm guessing the answer is yes but ideally I'd want multiple machines? I trust the guys at Springfield Leather, they have great customer service and since they're fairly close to where I'm located I feel like it would be a good idea to buy a machine from them. Is there another Cobra I should be looking at? I'm convinced the cylinder arm is the way to go, but I think that only gives me the option of the 3 or 4. Thank again for everyone's feedback, it's been so incredibly helpful!

I have no problems with you buying a class 18 from them, but please realize that a cobra 3 or 4 or any 441 machine is not designed to run V-92 and lower thread. If you want the truth, have the guys at SLC to set up a cobra 3 or 4 with V-69 thread and then you should have enough material set-up to make a wallet, right there. You will more than likely get a bunch of excuses. Usually when you want someone to sew on thin material on a 441 at a show, they use V-346 or V-277 thread (old sales trick). The 441 is designed to handle big thread, it isn't that size for nothing. Your best bet is a 227R, from Bob or whoever. If that is what I wanted, I'd order it and have it delivered. If your second choice is a class 18 and you don't want the arm, get the class 18. Buying a 441 for sewing thread that is really too small is going to be a headache. If you do a lot of work that is medium range, get a medium range machine. Class 18, 227R, take your pick.

Just to throw something extra into the mix, SLC should have the Class 20 which while still a flatbed, will sew thicker material with bigger thread (like maybe V-207) as well as the low range of threads.

I'd rather see you get a flatbed that sews in your range than a cylinder arm that doesn't.

Art

I have a Cobra 18 and it seems fine for me with thinner leather. I actually bought it because i have two Cobra 4's that do not sew real thin stuff. I use the Cobra 18 to sew thinner purse/bag straps, wallets, Thinner Ipad covers, etc. I generally sew 69 and 138 thread with the Cobra 18. I even sew purse/bag liners with the Cobra 18 and the material is duck cloth. I use #69 thread and a fabric needle to sew the duck cloth. I've been happy with the Cobra Class 18.

My 18s also work fine with thinner thread. One is now setup for fabric and has v-46 in it. A lot more colors are available in that thread size. It also sews well with V-69 , 92, and 138, although that was before I turned it to fabric (timed for 135x17 round point or ball point), It has one of the brush motors on it so you just turn a knob to set speed. Wife has the machines with all the buttons and stitches but still uses the 18, and the Singer 222k. Only problem is no cylinder arm on the 18.

Art

I talked to the guys at Springfield Leather hoping they could order in a Techsew or Cowboy, but they're firm believers in the Cobra's. I've always heard great things about the Cobra 4's, but I figured I'd get something heavier down the road. I wanted to ask you guys if you think I could tune it down to sew thin wallets? I'm guessing the answer is yes but ideally I'd want multiple machines? I trust the guys at Springfield Leather, they have great customer service and since they're fairly close to where I'm located I feel like it would be a good idea to buy a machine from them. Is there another Cobra I should be looking at? I'm convinced the cylinder arm is the way to go, but I think that only gives me the option of the 3 or 4. Thank again for everyone's feedback, it's been so incredibly helpful!

Hi Paige - if you're sewing thin leather I would suggest focusing on a machine designed for sewing thin leather. A 441 clone like the Techsew 4100/5100 can do a whole lot and would allow you to do something heavier down the road however it wouldn't be the best machine for you right now.

For sewing wallets, leashes, handbags, collars you definitely need a light/medium cylinder walking foot machine - our 2600, 2700 and 2750 all have the option of a flatbed table attachment so you can sew round or flat items.

Feel free to call us with any more questions!

Ron

What the heck.. call me too :) Send me a message, I'll git ya a phone number.

UNLESS you think that anything I might say, I should be willing to say here? Maybe that kind of integrity is old news these days :(

Do you want a flat bed or a cylinder arm machine? What kind of work do you do?

Art

The Cowboy 227R would work fine up to 1/4 or 3/8 inch. !/4 inch is 16 oz which is fine for a stock 227R, 3/8 inch is 24 oz and would take a little presser foot adjustment. Ditto any of the other medium duty machines. 24 oz is absolute tops for any of the medium duty machines and if I was sewing 24 oz all day I would certainly get a big stitcher like a 441 Clone such as the Cowboy CB3500 or Cowboy CB4500. The Cobra and Techsew machines would also do the job. I wouldn't get a 441 if you are sewing less than 1/4 in (16 oz) with lighter thread as they can take all the joy out of it IMO. Deal if at all possible with a dealer of leather sewing machines as these machines have to be set up for leather and should include a speed reducer and servo motor. Of late, I am finding the brush type motors easier to deal with; just one knob for speed control instead of flashing lights and buttons and Chinese directions.

Art

Thank you for your reply, Art.

As I am completely new to sewing machines, I have never even used one for fabric, or anything in general. Would a medium duty be capable of sewing the thinner leathers with less pressure on the foot?

Is there an option for a brush vs servo motor when purchasing these machines?

Yes, you can sew thin leathers with thread down to V-46 or V-69. These are walking foot, and needle, and drop (feed dog) machines and feed just about anything in their range. I know Bob at Toledo Industrial carries this type of motor.

Art