Dear all,

I'm very new to leatherwork and would be immensely grateful for some help with my restoration of a beautiful old Pendragon attache case. The case is probably from the 1950's/60's and is made of thick bridle leather. The leather is dirty, cracked, dry and scuffed/scratched. My aim is to restore and protect it, but I am not looking for an 'as new' finished - I'd like it to show its age and patina. So far I have re stitched some of the seams - now I need to tackle the leather itself.

For this I have ordered some Lexol Cleaner, Lexol Conditioner and Skidmore's Beeswax Restoration Cream. Are these products sufficient? Do I need anything else? What order would you use them (I had intended cleaner; beeswax to fill in the cracks; then conditioner - is this correct?). I would like to avoid re-dying the leather but is this the only way to deal with the scuffed edges?

Any and all advice gratefully received.

post-65115-0-06627000-1440540528_thumb.j

post-65115-0-62371500-1440540558_thumb.j

post-65115-0-49080400-1440540575_thumb.j

post-65115-0-84533000-1440540596_thumb.j

post-65115-0-15602800-1440540623_thumb.j

You have a good thing going with the Lexol. I used it on an 1848 pistol cartridge box and it did wonders.

Jim

Not sure about the beeswax

Edited by Jim

Thanks for the advice - in your experience is it worth using the Lexol on the scuffed edges? I hear it's great for scratches but not sure how it will work where the leather is really worn.

If you intend to leave the bag in its present state, and why not; then it won't hurt it. Lexol is great for giving the old leather some badly needed oils thereby restoring it a bit.

Jim

Edited by Jim

I have restored these cases in the past and I am currently restoring one now I remove all of the stitching and add a suede liner which adds strength they are high quality cases from an interesting company.

To answer your question I use Fiebing's mink oil with excellent results.