Clamatron

Design Software

Hey all, I was wondering if any of you used software to design any of your patterns? If you guys have any favorites or any to stay away from, please let me know.

Thanks!

I use Adobe Illustrator exclusively. I've never used anything but, so can't speak of the other software out there.

I like to use Dassault Systems CATIA, it's complicated as hell, but the degree of freedom it gives you is incredible.

If you have access to a 3D printer, yo ucan also make STL files and get them printed.

What are you boys designing that requires all of that? :dunno:

It's not so much that the patterns are difficult to make otherwise, but it's the program I know best, and allows me the most unrestricted method of digitally making a pattern.

Matt, that looks fairly basic and exactly what I was thinking about.

Alamo, once I am more than just a rookie, moving up to more "complicated" software is definitely not a bad plan

Google sketchup is a great starting program, and don't forget to download some of the extra features that make it more powerful.

I use pen and paper to much effort and time to design in software. and as far as I can see little point.

I use pen and paper to much effort and time to design in software. and as far as I can see little point.

Some of us use or used the fancy software in our day jobs so its VERY easy for us to do it. I use Autocad. The same software I used to design the Audio/Video/Fire systems for the Hawaii Convention Center some years ago. It's second nature once you have the skill set. For me it's faster than paper and pencil. Everyone uses what works for them. Since I have access to a plotter I can "print" patterns with a maximum size of 48 inches wide and 30 feet in length. Now all I need is an Elephant that wants a skinny belt.

There is something about designing and printing a pattern for a $100 holster on a system with $10,000.00 of hardware and $8,000.00 of software. I love overkill.

If I did not have the knowledge and access to this system I would be using paper and pencil too.

Michael

I like using pen and paper for custom orders, but when making patterns or templates for things that will be made over and over again, the precision of using a computer/machine is quite handy.

And graph paper works quite well :)

post-13153-0-00303700-1440611551_thumb.j

I like making orthographic and isometric drawings!

J45gZJ6.jpg

What, no 3-d render with spotlights and drop shadow? :rofl:

Yeah, about those.. :smashcomp:

What, no 3-d render with spotlights and drop shadow? :rofl:

Careful, I have a buddy that works for Pixar. We could animate it. Of course it would take a year to get it back......

This thread truly shows that the sky is the limit for what to use, doesn't it?

I am most familiar with SolidWorks, so I understand the "using what you know best" aspect of it. That's really the crux of it, though. If you know how to sketch out some designs on paper and turn those into a functioning object, then stick with that. If you know how to model it all out in a software package and then create a flattened pattern, then that's awesome, too. It just comes down to what you know or are willing to learn to get the particular task you have done.

I comment on this because I just recently had to start looking at different software packages that allow me to model some hobby specific things without breaking the bank or violating any licensing restrictions. I don't have the spare funds to purchase a non-educational SolidWorks license, so it mean searching around for something else that had a similar work flow with a price tag that is much lower or free. Not that the several thousand dollar price tag is unjustified, just not currently possible for my wallet to handle. Here's a list of some of the things I found.

Free: (completely and provisional)

FreeCAD: Open source, totally free, and not very intuitive. It works, and had loads of features, tutorials, an active developer, and a forum, so help is pretty easily gotten if it's needed. I found it functional, but too different from what I am familiar with to be able to be effective for my needs.

SketchUp: Now owned by Trimble Navigation, which means new licensing options. Free for personal, non-profit, or educational purposes, but the Pro version requires purchasing. Well established and pretty simple to pick up. Having a shallow learning curve, a huge library of help, tutorials, and pre-built models is excellent.

SALOME: Open source, and totally free. This is a huge modeling and simulation package with loads of options. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but lots of tutorials and videos to help you out. The work flow is it a bit weird, but capable of some pretty complex and high level stuff.

progeCAD 2009 Smart: Free for non-commercial stuff. I didn't look too closely at this one, yet. It does look to have a healthy list of features, but I can't comment on much else.

flood: I intended on playing around with this, but have yet to get to that, just yet. It looks like a purely online, web and cloud based tool for parametric solid modeling. I couldn't find anything on licensing, but the code is open sourced, stored on github, and is still in beta.

Onshape: I intended on testing this one, too. It has both free and paid options, but I didn't check the fine print for the details on it. Lots of options and the tutorial videos looked like the workflow was similar to SolidWorks. The video I watched had a guy build a pretty interesting birdhouse, for several birds, and create an assembly from multiple parts with ease. It looked promising.

fusion 360: A newer package from Autodesk that has a similar workflow SolidWorks, tons of features, and flexible pricing and trial options. This is the one I am playing with at the moment. It's a free trial, but can remain free for educational and hobby ($1000 per year and under) purposes. So far, it looks very nice and pretty straight forwards to pick up. Tons of features!

Payed Licensing:

Geomagic: I was not able to test this one out. I don't know the pricing due it needing a put in a request for it, but they offer a free trial.

PTC Creo: This used to be Pro/ENGINEER. I didn't get to test this out. There are some free software tools and a free trial. You need to place a request for pricing, so I don't know much else beyond that.

SolidFace: This software looks like it has a modern style of workflow for parametric modeling and a pretty long list of features and capabilities. I didn't test it, but there is pricing and a free trial from the website.

Cubify: Several options for different needs, but lots of features for the price. Does have a free trial, but I didn't test this one out.

I hope that someone finds some use from this list. I know that most of these software packages won't be for everyone, but maybe it'll give an option, or alternative, to those interested in getting started, or looking to switch to something new.

You can add Inkscape to the free list for Vector graphics. I have been using it for years. Only down side is I have to export a format that my old version of photoshop will take to print. That may have been fixed in the version released in Jan 2015. I haven't tried to print directly from the new release yet. My $30 epson printer from 10 years ago will print up to 8.5 by 44 in. I tape paper together on the back side, and set length/size I need in the printer set up.

You can add Inkscape to the free list for Vector graphics. I have been using it for years. Only down side is I have to export a format that my old version of photoshop will take to print. That may have been fixed in the version released in Jan 2015. I haven't tried to print directly from the new release yet. My $30 epson printer from 10 years ago will print up to 8.5 by 44 in. I tape paper together on the back side, and set length/size I need in the printer set up.

You more ambitious n me. I just get it teh way I want it, and give it to the cutie at the print shop. If it's bigger than 12 x 18 or so, I don't wanna make it anyway :rofl: Plus, did I mention she's CUTECUTECUTE?!! Jennifer Somethingsomething ...

You can add Inkscape to the free list for Vector graphics.

I was actually getting ready to add Inkscape to the list I made. It slipped my mind earlier when making it, but I was focused specifically on CAD related software and it slipped my mind. They mentioned on their website that they are planning the next release soon and to switching to a shorter time period between releases and bug fixes along with it. They also mention in the FAQs that several file formats are supported natively and that some other formats could be exported to with specific steps explained.

I did locate some information on how to make GIMP look and behave more like Photoshop. That was always my issue when I tried using it, because it felt far too foreign.

How to link 1 and link 2

If you are familiar with autocad, dassault has a free clone system, DraftSight.

https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/

That's actually a pretty smooth working program. Not nearly as powerful as AC, but not nearly the price tag, either! Testing it out, I don't think there's anything you need beyond this - - works good. Well, splines get a bit cumbersome, but otherwise .......

The merit of illustrator or inkscape is that they make flat images as with actual paper patterns and leave everything scalable and capable of being edited as far as your imagination goes and the software supports. Yes I know CAD software can create flat vector images but it is intended for other uses and I think adds unnecessary layers of abstraction and conceptual complexity. It also lacks many of the powerful tools or workflow shortcuts that illustrator has.

There is also garment patternmaking software, but its great merit is being able to grade garment patterns, which is unnecessary.

You can draw vector lines in Photoshop, but it is intended for raster editing and is both extremely weak on the vector tools illustrator has and is loaded with raster tools that are useless for patternmaking.

I think it's a lot easier to work with leather patterns in vector lines than using traditional drafting.