Hi. I'm looking for thread of a suitable strength /weight for hand sewing leather goods. Like wallets,purses and bags. I have the multi coloured waxed the from Tandy, and a big spool off ebay that is mostly shades of yellow,orange, red,green and a little blue. I saw a case on etsy by asked in Riga and it looked lovely but she does not remember where age bought it,other than to say it was online.

I will try to upload pics as soon as I can but any ideas please let me know. Oh and as I live in Scotland it needs to be an online purchase.

Thanks

Wallets, journals, and clutches are primarily what I do, and for everything I use Hemp or Bamboo thread. Personally I like touting the amazing "natural strength" of both, and they come in a wide variety of sizes and colors. I have use the below person on ebay multiple times and will continue to use them again, and again. They always throw in samples and sometimes larger spools as a thank you. I know there are stronger synthetic threads, but I have never had a problem with Hemp or Bamboo, and they have a greater novelty factor if you're selling your goods.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261618438048?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=560492890699&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for that, I'll give the help a try.

I will try also, thank you for sharing. It is non waxed right? do you wax it?

Abbey England (http://www.abbeyengland.com/) out of Cheshire in Great Britain sells what might be considered the most popular of 2 or 3 standard choices, ritza tiger thread, in a number of colors and thicknesses.

This is the item with the thread I want.

post-41327-0-52774800-1441840471_thumb.j

Like I said, I mainly use the Hemp or Bamboo, so a quick search on Hemtique.net gave me this.

http://hemptique.net/products/hemp-cord-variegated-rainbow-20

Not sure it's what you're looking for, but I also found it by searching "hemptique rainbow".

And I'm pretty sure it comes slightly waxed, but waxed or not, I always wax it by hand (yeah I said it) with beeswax. It's a good selling point and helps from fraying, etc.

Edited by Seamus76

I have some rainbow hemp winging its way to me as I type! Thanks for the tip! I do use waxed thread from Tandy but it is expensive and a small reel. I am looking forward to seeing how the hemp works out. Thanks again.

Abbey England (http://www.abbeyengland.com/) out of Cheshire in Great Britain sells what might be considered the most popular of 2 or 3 standard choices, ritza tiger thread, in a number of colors and thicknesses.

I sent for two spools of the Tiger Thread mentioned above and I love it. I broke a few needle eyes but not the thread. I needed black thread to finish a civil war cap pouch. I had to have it finished before the 28th of Sept. I was afraid that Abbey wouldn't send it in time. I purchased the same thread from Ebay figuring I would get it sooner from E-Bay. I was wrong, Abbry sent me the thread in three days, I live in the USA, NJ. It only cost me $20 for shipping, two spools thread and a few buckles. They are large spools 0.8mm 500m for $16.73, I feel it is well worth it compared to the thread I was getting from Tandy's .

Jim