I wish I got called on to do more of them. The shape of the various blade types lends itself to some interesting shapes in the sheath. Here are 2 recent ones.

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

The one below has a fire starter thingy in the little pocket. It was for a rough and tough Army Sargent .. I didnt call it fire starter thingy in front of him :P

100_7593sm.jpg

nice job on the sheaths, I like them both.

Very nice

very nice job, love the top one

Nice job, I really like the colors. Did you use 2 different dyes here? Could you share the technique - how did you apply them?

Nice job, I really like the colors. Did you use 2 different dyes here? Could you share the technique - how did you apply them?

I believe the technique is called sunburst. You can either achieve it with airbrush or with very careful use of a brush.

Very nice job on those sheath!

There are a couple of ways to get a similar effect. Those above are done with an air brush and the bottom one is actually 3 colors. I dyed the entire piece Light brown then I used a very wet dauber to dye the edges black after sanding and let the dye slop over the edge front and back. I misted the edge front and back with black from the airbrush but then I went over the black with medium brown bleeding it onto the light brown. The desire was to get a nice high spot in the center with the light brown but I prefer a fade out to the edge rather than a sharp line that can sometimes be created if I dont use a bridge color which in this case was the Medium brown.

the top one is Tandy water stain Bourdeux, dark brown and black. The bourdeux is more stain like so I rubbed that in with a rag as my base.

but

Another cool way of getting a similar effect is with Antique stain. I prefer the Fiebings. Lay down your base color or two and give it a pass or 2 with resolene. Let it dry. Apply a healthy heavy dose of antique stain in the color of your choice. Let it set up about 5-10 minutes. It will be a little hard to remove at this point. Take a slightly dampened sponge and start wiping off from the center out toward the edges creatively until it looks like you want. Its not as controlled as the airbrush but its a nice effect and you dont need additional equipment. I have never been successful reapplying the stain so you get one shot but since you want it to look organic anyway .... have at it.

Here is a quick and dirty example using the stain technique. Sorry not the best work but I wanted to find something quickly so you can try it out. That is red acrylic paint and then I applied black dye with a rag around the edges.

horde%20coasters%20B4.jpg

Then I worked with the stain

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

Hope that helps!

Alex

Those are some of my favorite knife sheaths I've seen, lately. I especially like the the braided accents and the shape of the "fire starter" flap.

Very nice, and thanks for all the detail.

By the way, I call that a fire starter thingy too.

Great looking sheaths. Definitely need to try the antique process.

And now for the age old question:

What do you use to make your stitching holes?

Great looking sheaths. Definitely need to try the antique process.

And now for the age old question:

What do you use to make your stitching holes?

I used an awl for those guys. A small Vergez blanchard to be exact.