Desert Moon

Plastic Material For Inside Of Saddlebags

I have a customer who wants to have some saddlebags made this winter,. He want carving so I will be using veg-tanned at least for the flap. They will be bolted onto the bike. I am trying to find out what the semi hard plastic inserts are made of and where to get them in sheets that I I can cut myself. I am looking for the stuff that is a little softer that I can sew through with my cobra, not the stuff that is really hard like kidex. If anyone has name and supplier tat would be great, Thanks

Mike

Reply might be too late, but Tandy's sells kydex sheets in 12x12 and 12x24 for holsters that can be heat formed.

This is an old thread but not very far down so I'm bringing it up to add another option for future reference.  A sheet of bag stiffener.  They're ultra cheap, sold at Tandy (and other places), and are intended for this soft of thing.  I believe you typically sandwich them between your regular leather and a thin lining layer.  Consistency kind of reminds me of a VERY thin rawhide.