LuisPaulo

Handlebar grips. How to ?

Hi.

I received a request to make some leather handlebar grips, but.... I have no idea how to make one..... :head_hurts_kr:

So, any help will be very welcome.

Thanks

Regards from Brazil.

Luis, not difficult at all. First, of course you'll need to get a measurement from the handlebars. I cut the leather I'm going to use to the width of the grips, wrap it around the handlebars, mark the circumference on the leather. If you use cardboard, or a measuring tape, you'll lose a bit in your measurement. If you're doing your grips in veg tan, cut them the exact length. If you're doing them in chrome tanned, cut them 1/4 inch short to allow for stretch when you lace them on. Then punch small holes every 3/4 inch down each end, and voila. You could put eyelets in if you're doing it in chrome tanned leather, but not neccessary if it's 4/5oz or better. Then, of course, you'll lace them onto the bars.

Here are a set I did for my bike:

Hand_Grip_Tooled_001.jpg

Hand_Grip_Tooled_002.jpg

post-834-1228548972_thumb.jpg

post-834-1228548980_thumb.jpg

You like your leatherwork, looks like you have leather all over the bike. Anymore pictures. Darryl

Luis, not difficult at all. First, of course you'll need to get a measurement from the handlebars. I cut the leather I'm going to use to the width of the grips, wrap it around the handlebars, mark the circumference on the leather. If you use cardboard, or a measuring tape, you'll lose a bit in your measurement. If you're doing your grips in veg tan, cut them the exact length. If you're doing them in chrome tanned, cut them 1/4 inch short to allow for stretch when you lace them on. Then punch small holes every 3/4 inch down each end, and voila. You could put eyelets in if you're doing it in chrome tanned leather, but not neccessary if it's 4/5oz or better. Then, of course, you'll lace them onto the bars.

One thing also to remember is that you will need to fit the right grip over a throttle sleeve of some sort, not just over the bar. It might be a good idea to purchase a set of grips for the bike, or get the existing grips and cover them. This will allow them to be uniform in size, as well as it can provide you with a nice chrome end cap to make everything look nice, just like wolvenstein's example.

I like the lever cover too. Looks like the bike is blue and black....what kind is it??

i braided the ones i have had to do....

post-4514-050741900 1285537870_thumb.jpg

I like the lever cover too. Looks like the bike is blue and black....what kind is it??

Mick, sorry, I havent been around the site in quite some time. The bike is black with blue. It is a 3rd gen Honda Magna. Just bought a house, and my computer is packed away and I am on my laptop which doesnt have many pix on it.