Jimdad

Tanning Rawhide?

Okay, my gut says there's a short two-letter answer to this, but I can't think of why it wouldn't at least be possible, so here goes:

Would it be possible to tan rawhide in veg/bark solution? If not, why not?

Because then it would be veg tanned leather and not rawhide.

Rawhide is by definition not tanned.

Edited by 25b

Do you mean take rawhide and tan it yourself? If so, I couldn't tell you, but I would be interested in the answer too (curiosity and cats).

Yes, I understand that if rawhide were tanned, it would no longer be "raw" hide. Also that a raw steak, once cooked is no longer raw ;) But I know steak can be cooked-- I don't know if rawhide can be tanned, or if the process of making it into rawhide precludes the chemical reactions necessary to turn a wet blue hide into leather.

Yes in generally rawhide can be tanned. I have often partially tanned/full tanned smaller pieces using walnut hulls or similar high tannic acid materials - I work mostly with deer and elk rawhide, but have tanned some cowhide as well but takes longer and is more work. Once tanned though the hide still needs to be softened by re-introducing the fats and oils during the tanning process and then breaking it by working it in various ways - that can take some work and is part of the currying stage.
The only time home tanning might not work is if using bleached rawhide.

Thanks, exactly what I needed to know. One follow-up: any thoughts on using tannin powder (tannic acid) vs. making the bark mash?