brattgirl

Wood Grain Carving Tools?

Hi All,

I don't post often but after I came across this amazing leather carving I want very much to try to accomplish the wood grain look that was used. I have no clue what tools are needed I have combed YouTube and google but have yet to find what I need. Does anyone know what I would need???

Thanks

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fd/ab/30/fdab3054d89c3e21b6dc60acc05470b3.jpg

A piece of old hardwood or barn board. This is just stamped with something like that. Too many actual real detail in there to be made with a leather stamp. Where the board is "broken" it was cut and stamped. The rest of the texture was probably modeled after "stamping".

I believe we had this in another thread before. The softer portions of the wood can be removed with a "brush". You'll need a machine for this. It will bring out the wood texture a lot more and you'll have a negative for this. You can tell on the picture that this is what was used here as the indention is where one would expect a rise. He then touched it up here and there and that's the whole trick.

I'm quite certain you'll find an old barn board at your location some place.

Good luck with it.

Looks like hardwork ( by a good artist) with swivel knife, modeling spoon, and a few bevelers to me. that eyeball and the wood grain look great.

I don't think this is stamped...A good artist with an eye for details will be able to make this with:

a swivel knife,

bevellers in various sizes and

some good modeling tools ...

Plus som background tools too ;-)

Edited by Tina

well given from all your comments sounds like I have all I need to tackle this you gave me a few ideas to get started so many thanks all :D

Tandy makes a craft aid for the wood texture look uf you want

I don't think this is stamped...A good artist with an eye for details will be able to make this with:

a swivel knife,

bevellers in various sizes and

some good modeling tools ...

Plus som background tools too ;-)

Exactly. I think a pointed background tool, modeling spoon, and a knife be about it. I think it was Kat Kuszak did a very nice explanation of this in an old Tandy "doodle page". [ Kat, if I got yours and somebody else's mixed up, don't take it personal -- still love your stuff! ]

Very nice looking barnwood thing done in "layers" of stages... very easy to follow. What was that ... like 1980-something? They'll be some ass on you-tube shortly claiming he / she "invented" it, but truth is it's been done forever (and Kat did it well as anyone). I'll see kin I finda copy ....

YEP.. still available. My mistake, looks like it was '87. She goes step by step, for anybody interested. Very well stated and illustrated. No video required :)

Download it at https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/p-998-tooling-barnwood-by-kat-kuszak-series-9d-page-8.aspx?

Edited by JLSleather

I don't know if I searched for the wrong tags but I couldn't find anything pertinent on YouTube if you could help me with a link I would be very great full :)

I don't know if I searched for the wrong tags but I couldn't find anything pertinent on YouTube if you could help me with a link I would be very great full :)

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/p-998-tooling-barnwood-by-kat-kuszak-series-9d-page-8.aspx?

Complete 'stages' illustration. Save an hour of your life wading through a bunch of u-tube ROT by somebody with a small-man complex (they'll call it "marketing", but it's the same thing). Get something actually USEFUL :)

Thanks I appreciate the link and very cool blog :)

Just a thought ! Tandy also sells a tool called " a Hair tool "

Which may or may Not aid in achieving the wood grain look you desire ! -------- Wild Bill46

Thor - Thanks very cool to see more of his work.

Wild Bill - Funny you should mention that I was thinking the same thing I just purchased that tool last week but have yet to find the time to play around with it neck deep in a few commissioned projects. Hopefully soon.

I have a hair tool, but I don't think it would work that well for wood grain.