Hi folks,

I found myself with some free time and can’t really say why but I caught this bug to work with exotic leathers.
We just finished a new section of our house and I’d like to do something special for the den area. I'm thinking of wrapping or trimming a flatscreen TV frame in some type of exotic leather - either ostrich, lizard, alligator or python to give you a better idea.
My brother happens to own a TV store in Arizona so luckily I’ll have a few TVs to learn on which I am sure I will need!
I may also at some point do some other projects with the skins, but for now the TV is just something I’d like to focus on..
Any ideas or suggestions for what sewing machine I should buy? Again, I see myself likely doing more projects in the future with exotic skins - so buying a sewing machine that costs more than it would to have it made by a pro is a nonissue.
My concerns are that I’ve never seen something like this before and sewing on a TV obviously near the screen and on top of the plastic… I imagine I would use a layer of cowhide under the exotics. Hoping to get some good advice from the fine experts on this forum and anyone else who wants to chime in.
Tell me what you think.. thanks ya'll
Buck

I would use some type of adhesive rather than attempting to sew around a TV...unless you were making some type of fitted cover that would be sewn before placed on TV, or make some type of face plate that can be added to the TV and removable if needed

That's interesting DS, atm I rather like the idea of not sewing...

Are there any projects you've seen I can reference using just an adhesive with leather?

Also can you recommend an adhesive?

And do you think I will be able to achieve a professional quality job this way if done right with the adhesive and no sewing?

Thanks a bunch.. I like the ostrich bow arm guard on your site.. fine work, nice watch straps too!

Unless you're very lucky and can find a suitable machine at a bargain basement price, be prepared to spend a decent sum on something that can sew leather. Look in the "sewing machine" section as a starting point. The minimum you will need is a walking foot, and ideally a compound feed walker.

You could always hand stitch it - might take a while, but then you can amaze your friends by saying "yep, I made that, all done by hand". :)

That's interesting DS, atm I rather like the idea of not sewing...

Are there any projects you've seen I can reference using just an adhesive with leather?

Also can you recommend an adhesive?

And do you think I will be able to achieve a professional quality job this way if done right with the adhesive and no sewing?

Thanks a bunch.. I like the ostrich bow arm guard on your site.. fine work, nice watch straps too!

I usually use Barge contact cement, heard DAP Weldwood is pretty good, maybe Gorilla glue. Even was thinking a 3M double sided adhesive tape, you can get some really thin stuff with great adhesion, here at work the machinist use it to hold down Delran parts that can't be clamp down.

Hi folks,

I found myself with some free time and can’t really say why but I caught this bug to work with exotic leathers.
We just finished a new section of our house and I’d like to do something special for the den area. I'm thinking of wrapping or trimming a flatscreen TV frame in some type of exotic leather - either ostrich, lizard, alligator or python to give you a better idea.
My brother happens to own a TV store in Arizona so luckily I’ll have a few TVs to learn on which I am sure I will need!
I may also at some point do some other projects with the skins, but for now the TV is just something I’d like to focus on..
Any ideas or suggestions for what sewing machine I should buy? Again, I see myself likely doing more projects in the future with exotic skins - so buying a sewing machine that costs more than it would to have it made by a pro is a nonissue.
My concerns are that I’ve never seen something like this before and sewing on a TV obviously near the screen and on top of the plastic… I imagine I would use a layer of cowhide under the exotics. Hoping to get some good advice from the fine experts on this forum and anyone else who wants to chime in.
Tell me what you think.. thanks ya'll
Buck

How decadent can you get?!

I am with DS, I think it would work better gluing. I use Weldwood. I am not going to discuss which one is better, Barge will work fine to. Basically you need a good contact cement. You would need to scuff the plastic of the tv with some sand paper to get a good surface for the glue to grip. Once you have the pieces cut you would follow the manufactures instructions for the glue, usually applying to both surfaces letting dry then placing the pieces in place and smooth apply pressure with the palm of you hand. Then let cure over night. If you have butted the pieces properly you would take an edge beveler, bevel the edges then burnish using antler or what ever you have for burnishing. I assume you are talking a TV with a screen 40" or larger. The problem you will find is getting exotic pieces long enough. Gator costs about $120.00 per square foot, depending on who you buy from. Full hides will have a lower dollar per square foot price.