natenaaron

What Is Belly Leather Good For?

I'll send you a message (red number top your screen).

I generally buy backs... sides with the belly already removed. Sure it has a purpose though. Hmmm....

Put it inside the shop door, place to wipe yer feet when you come in out the rain.

Use it to cover the bench, in case you spill some dye.

Makes small but good smelling curtains.

Wickett / Craig will sell you the bellies for about $15 if I remember rightly. Even at that price, I dont buy 'em. http://www.wickett-craig.com/

This forum needs a "like" button.

I generally buy backs... sides with the belly already removed. Sure it has a purpose though. Hmmm....

Put it inside the shop door, place to wipe yer feet when you come in out the rain.

Use it to cover the bench, in case you spill some dye.

Makes small but good smelling curtains.

Wickett / Craig will sell you the bellies for about $15 if I remember rightly. Even at that price, I dont buy 'em. http://www.wickett-craig.com/

Ha ha! I get a kick out of that because of the last time I used belly leather. I had a random belly sitting around forever, can't remember when I got it or why... I installed a fancy new work light on the sloped ceiling over my bench and sat down to try it out: bright light in my eyes and I couldn't stand the glare. Sitting there I was all irritated and saw that belly sitting in the corner, so now I have a not real pretty, but very effective, leather lampshade! That's gotta be a little better than a doormat!

I have used belly for heavy belt key rings that are folded sharply, and a couple of small molded cases for shop use. That's about it.

I use different manufacturers bellies.  I got a circular clicker die and I cut circles, moisten them (do not soak) and stretch them on a mold of my own making, where they dry.  They usually become the ends of bottoms of small bags.  Saves a wicked amount of time with the die and money with the leather.  Only drawback is buying direct you need to (usually) buy a lot, and then shipping might kill you.

I use it as padding between layers for shoulder straps and laptop bags.  I also use it for workshop items like tool pockets and pouches.

Depending on the leather it can be good for other things like bag bottoms or insides of handles.  

it keeps their guts from falling out. or you can make knife handles out of em.

Edited by chuck123wapati

My research on early 20th century has mentioned belly leather for insoles. In my opinion the ultimate shoe construction is the sole construction using blake-mckay insole to midsole. Then using a outsole stitcher sewing midsole to outsole. The prominent construction today is using Goodyear welt attaching to composite insole and cork filling than outsole stitch welt to outsole.  

The timeless question was belly used for insoles because it was sort of leftover ?  I use it for insoles because it conforms to the foot.  I have never seen cork that wasn't deteriorated. I also us belly after being cased for heels.

They are good for practicing your swivel knife work and tooling. Also for small items like change purses, key fobs, etc. 

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the last one I bought from Tandy.

You can use it to make bandoleros and big gun rigs where you'll stamp, not tool, and dye it. 

I also now use a thick piece of belly leather as a backing when punching holes for sewing or lacing. I think it's much easier on the punches than a poundo board or plastic cutting board. The plastic cutting board ruined some of my punches!