Bitta

Cobra Class 4 Premium Pkg Vs. Techsew 5100 Special Edition Pkg Vs. Cowboy ?

The Cobra and Techsew big packages offer similar capacities and attachments other than the Techsew having the laser guide and coming with EPS. Are there any other significant differences? I know Cobra is all American made, but don't know about Techsew.

I don't know if Cowboy offers an everything and the kitchen sink pkg or not, but would certainly entertain it as another American made option.

Decisions decisions...

The Cobra and the Tecksew are made in China !

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I don't think any of these machines are made in America. It's more about American reseller working with the better of the Chinese factories for their customized products.

Yep, you're quite right, Uwe, and it applies to many items. A little while ago I bought a plasma cutter, and virtually all the brands/models available here are from China.The gentleman who sells the brand that I bought (his brand) said that he carefully selected the factory that makes them and personally visits the factory at regular intervals to ensure that they're doing what he wants. It shows, as I opened it up and the build quality is excellent.

It is my understanding that the Cowboy and the Cobra machines are made in "A" rated Chinese factories. The Techsew may be as well. The overall quality of the Cowboy is excellent and has served me well. It would be wonderful to have these machines made in the U.S., but those days are long past.

American made.. tha's a good 'un :rofl:

Well lemme get the egg off my face...wow. Sigh, so they are all made in China? That sure knocks the wind out of my sails in justifying the price tags. But, it is what it is and if Chinese steel is all we've got to work with, I can only hope the level of service and attention I've seen and heard about on here from CobraSteve and CowboyBob remain steady. All we can ask is that they stand behind their product. Guess that knocks the Techsew out of the picture.

Since you are in Ft. Worth, you might want to travel up to Wichita Falls on October 2 and 3 for the Boot and Saddlemakers Trade Show. Cobra and Cowboy are usually well represented there. This is a good time to test them out and get EXACTLY what you want. You might even be able to take one home, saving on the shipping. They hold the show at the MPEC complex.

Art

P.S. There is also Campbell Randall down in South Texas, a little bit of a drive and a more expensive machine, but made in the U.S.A. and the Campbell is one of the best machines out there. They also carry some of the more useful Adler and Seiko machines in addition to the Union Lock.

Well lemme get the egg off my face...wow. Sigh, so they are all made in China? That sure knocks the wind out of my sails in justifying the price tags. But, it is what it is and if Chinese steel is all we've got to work with, I can only hope the level of service and attention I've seen and heard about on here from CobraSteve and CowboyBob remain steady. All we can ask is that they stand behind their product. Guess that knocks the Techsew out of the picture.

Your best bet is to call each of the companies you're considering doing business with and see which machine works best for you. All of the advertisers on this website will stand by the products they sell.

Cheers,

Ron

Okay, I'll dissent here. You're in a large enough metro area that there is surely someone local who can get you a good machine - and even let you test drive it before deciding. In fact, if they won't do that, walk away, cuz someone else WILL.

Even if 'dealers' showed up on your doorstep (saving you shipping).. where will they be when the machine goes down or needs service? Nope, for my money, go with the local guy. He has parts for you machine, can install them if necessary, and likely has a "loaner' machine to use while yours is in the shop.

Must be signs of the times. Customer service didn't used to mean you fix it yourself. After a year, perhaps, but not the week after you bought it.

My next purchase, I think probably an adler. Man, them things is 'smooooooooth'......

My next purchase, I think probably an adler. Man, them things is 'smooooooooth'......

Not as smooth as Pfaff...just my 2.5 cents.....

Edited by Hockeymender

I can personally vouch for both Cowboy and Cobra branded heavy leather stitchers, owning one and having spent dozens of hours on the hour, sewing. Both are built in China, but are shipped directly to the two dealers who assemble them, adjust them, go over any loose screws and sew them off. All this is done by our dealers before any machine is shipped to the customers. Additionally, our dealers, including Techsew, all provide limitless technical support to their customers. You will not be left out in the dark. They will take phone calls and answer email, or private messages sent through the forum. It may not be instant (these are often small companies with lots of machines going out), but the support will come. I know from personal experience.

Price wise, all three offer similarly priced package deals. One may toss in something different than the others. Another may have cheaper shipping to your location.

The big leather stitchers are well built. Stuff does eventually need to be adjusted. The machines need to be oiled manually and often. There is no excuse for letting a sewing machine seize do to lack of oil.

Bob Kovar at Toledo (Cowboy sewing machines) has been great to deal with.

I am sorry, JLS, but you would never find a quality Juki 441, or clone or any smaller, leather capable machine dealer, in my local area or even in Utah! No one here cares to consider the option of distributing or adequately servicing any industrial or leather machine. Their lack of expertise and the up front capital precludes any one taking any risk. It just will not happen. Greater Salt Lake has over a million people (not very large by most standards) and the Wasatch Front over 2 million and the only machines available, locally are quilters, light weight upholstery and home-fabric models, incapable of any practical leather application. One dealer I contacted said if I was really, really serious he might be talked into making a few calls.

I am near 70, a survivor, cynical and pragmatic enough to know when someone is trying to blow air up my kilt and appease me with a wheelbarrow of B.S. And some I contacted were without conscience. I found this wonderful site and forum as I checked every resource available to me and researched every on-line review, comment and link, I could, to find a good machine that fit my needs and someone to stand behind it and take my questions and concerns seriously. I did not have the luxury of time, or the stamina to keep looking very much longer. I'm old!

I feel more than lucky to have found Cobra Steve and the Leather Machine Co. right here on Leather Worker. By my own experience; he takes the service and support of the machines he sells, very seriously. He was close, only a state away, and I was very impressed with the tacit trust that developed between he and I, during our initial phone conversation. I will recommend my machine, a Cobra 4P, and Steve to anyone. He truly is a good, honest, man, that will do all in his power to find a solution to any issue. I am confident, he will not steer me or anyone else wrong, and will go to any length to find a solution to any support issue, period. I know Wiz, and many others have the same confidence in Cowboy Bob, Cobra Steve, Techsew and Keystone and know the reputations of all the vendors on this site. I find no vice in any of them jumping at the chance to share their knowledge, machines and service with members who seek advice and resources. I just happen to have found the right vendor, and a friend.

jr.

Not to worry, JR,.. we just don't agree. .. and that's okay :)

Edited by JLSleather

If you're lucky enough to live in a metropolitan area with industrial sewing machine dealers, it's worthwhile checking them out. There's value in being able to see a machine in person and trying it out before you buy it. The Dallas area has Sunny Sewing and Dema Sewing Automation for example. No harm in spending an afternoon checking them out and see if you get good vibes from them. Even if you end up buying remotely from the LW vendors, it's good to have local resource for repairs and parts. I don't know much about the Dallas area companies, but they seem to have a reasonable web presence and an interesting selection of new and used industrial sewing machines.

Edited by Uwe

In addition to Campbell Randall, there is Bogel-Greenwell Sewing Machinery, in Grand Prairie,Texas

So I think I'm ready to buy one of the big boys.  Tonight, I'm researching the Cowboys and Cobras and TechSews.  I really like the electronic needle placement of the Techsew.  Is it worth the extra few hundred bucks?

2 minutes ago, CharlesG said:

So I think I'm ready to buy one of the big boys.  Tonight, I'm researching the Cowboys and Cobras and TechSews.  I really like the electronic needle placement of the Techsew.  Is it worth the extra few hundred bucks?

You should start a new topic to discuss electronic positioning vs. a plain servo motor. This topic was last updated in 2015.

5 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

You should start a new topic to discuss electronic positioning vs. a plain servo motor. This topic was last updated in 2015.

I'm new to this forum.  I'll have to figure that out...

1 hour ago, CharlesG said:

I'm new to this forum.  I'll have to figure that out...

Mr. Wiz,

I have started a new topic, as suggested.  I feel like I have outlined my question a bit better, and hope for a robust response.

Thanks!