Hi everyone! I haven't posted much on here yet... I normally just use the forum for searching for patterns, advice, etc.

I wanted to post a belt that I made for my Grandpa. Apparently he had a "PLUCKY" belt when he was in his 20's that he wore forever, but it doesn't fit him anymore, so I made him a new one. He didn't want a liner; my g-pa is old school and said that the leather belts you buy in a store today don't feel like real leather (because they're lined, and he wants to be able to feel the flesh side). However, I like to reinforce my belts, and he was fine with it being lightly lined to give it a little bit extra stiffness.

Because I'm a semi-newbie, everything is hand-stitched. Yes, it took forever, but I think it turned out okay.

Constructive criticism welcomed :)

-Melinda

post-59550-0-71764900-1441974666_thumb.j

post-59550-0-08020800-1441974668_thumb.j

post-59550-0-27537900-1441974669_thumb.j

post-59550-0-33667100-1441974670_thumb.j

That basket weave is Great, really top notch job

I agree it is top notch indeed. Nice job on the BW and the letters look great too.

Thanks for the nice comments! :thumbsup: When I first started LW, the basketweave was my LEAST favorite, but now I wish I had more basketweave stamps. I have to admit though, I have difficulty with the basketweave when it gets close to the edges or close to the letters- I need more practice on figuring out where to fade out the pattern.

I agree that, for the stamp (looks like tandy basket weave) being used, this is the utmost result. Placement and alignment are very accurate or more accurate than what one gets to see on here lately.

If you are going to buy a new basket weave stamp don't settle for anything but the best, which in my opinion are made by Barry King.

Thanks Thor! I've only ever purchased stuff from Tandy. I'd love to get my hands on some BK tools. I wish there were leather shows in NY, too :(

I agree this BELT for your Grampa is "Top Notch",

I'm sure he'll enjoy replacing his old plucky with his Grand Daughters version.

Great job ! ---------- Wild Bill46

Very nice work.

Pro Leather Crafters sells online on their own page and via ebay. Their prices are reasonable. Or you just go here on BK's website http://www.barrykingtools.com/page8.htm. Eventually a member of this forum, Bruce Johnson, may be able to help out as well.

Equipped with better tools I'd be very interested to see what you will make then.

he will love that

Looks good to me. I like the small details on the letters.

Looks good to me. I like the small details on the letters.

Thanks, Dan. It's actually an eco-flo hi-lite from Tandy. I love the way that they look.

Great job and yep that hand stitching is a patient and finger/hand toughening procedure.... i hand stitch my belts and it can be anywhere from 650 stitches per belt but the result is something pretty special i think.

12038432_525339604285416_439689026204334

11863244_511775972308446_253797218304314

Edited by keableleather