Tayylor

Does Anyone Have Experience With Natural Dye And Finishes?

I'm new and have been practicing in order to make dog collars and belts etc. I want to use little too no chemical processing. I'm looking to sell my items, when I perfect the methods, and sell as "All natural." I want to dye non colored veg tanned leather with plant and other natural items for finishing.. Does anyone have experience with this and how to do it? Thanks.

I'm new and have been practicing in order to make dog collars and belts etc. I want to use little too no chemical processing. I'm looking to sell my items, when I perfect the methods, and sell as "All natural." I want to dye non colored veg tanned leather with plant and other natural items for finishing.. Does anyone have experience with this and how to do it? Thanks.

Chuck Burrows is the man to talk to about this......he made some gorgeous gun rigs, holsters, and knife sheaths using a natural walnut dye.....google search his name+walnut dye and you will find a ton of info.....here is a link to get you started......check out what he says:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33711

I can't speak from experience, but if I ever was to make natural dyes or stains I'd pay close attention to chapter five in "The Leather Worker's Manual" by Standage. You can find it legally for free online.

Edit: It also has recipes for finishes and many other products. It's a great resource, but many of the recipes outside of the dyes and stains can't be used as-is due to unsafe or unavailable ingredients.

Edited by greenlake

Thank you both for the information.

Wow, that is some info. Thanks.

I will have to look up many of the things used for the recipies in that book. Well, not the urine, of course.

I made the collar on the dog for my Avaitar. It was my first after some practice. This is not natural dye.

Hi,

So I have made natural dyes ro my satisfaction. However, I'm not sure if I need to bevel, skive and punch before placing the leather strap into the dye. I didn't do this when I dyed some straps and then when I beveled the leather underneath was much lighter.

Can someone please clarify for me.

Dye doesn't soak right through in most cases. Most of the pigment is in the surface. Do all your cutting and trimming before you dye it, else go back and touch it up after. In most cases, the touch up will not be a perfect match.

Tom

Dye doesn't soak right through in most cases. Most of the pigment is in the surface. Do all your cutting and trimming before you dye it, else go back and touch it up after. In most cases, the touch up will not be a perfect match.

Tom

Thank you Tom.