SmokeyPoint

Ordering Tiger Thread From Abbey England Bound For Usa

If you're looking to order from Abbey England via their web site, there's currently an issue. They just updated their payment processor software to the 3.0 version, and we know how that stuff goes. Just ask anyone with an older computer upgrading to Windows 10.0. :smashcomp:

The issue I just ran into was that my account has the correct address info, but when you get to SagePay, the billing address country is silently changed to GB. I say silently because it's not until you get to the very last page after entering your CC# that two addresses show up at the bottom of the page, hidden behind collapsed +'s that need to be clicked to see the address in the first place. Poor design if you ask me. But needless to say, credit card companies don't like it much when you don't seem to know what country you live in.

So.. after two days of back-and-forth, I just finally got off the phone with Abbey England. The only resolutions until they fix their site is a phone call from someone over there to take a CC number over the phone, or do a bank-to-bank transfer which can take up to three days.

So here is the trick... If you use Visa, it won't let you finish the checkout process. It just fails. If you use AMEX, however, it will fail AFTER the site says the order went through, and they'll contact you when it finally does fail. Then they can call you and take payment over the phone.

Or you can just call them and do the whole order and payment over the phone. On your dime. International rates apply. Ugh.

Cheers, as they say over there.

-Sean

I placed an ordered on 09/18/15 and received it yesterday. I had no problem. I live in the USA, NJ. It only cost me $20 for shipping, that is not bad.

Jim

Hopefully they got it fixed then.

Yeah, my shipment got here FAST once we worked through the issues with payment.

I think it's fixed now - I just ordered, the shipping was 18.00, and it arrived in four days. (Even with shipping, it's still cheaper than buying here in the states.)

(Even with shipping, it's still cheaper than buying here in the states.)

And a LOT faster than certain leather companies in the US...

Edited by 25b

I order tiger thread and an occasional tool from Andriy at

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftnTools

Shipping on my last order was $19.00 from the Ukraine. Takes about a week. No hassle using my credit card.

rick

$26 for a 500 meter roll from Abbey England.

I do have to admit, the quantity keeps me from having anything more than black and cream in stock at the moment... but I really hate the idea of spending triple the amount, just to buy it in the states.

I order from rmleather.com it usually comes a day or two after I order.

Correction. Rmleathersupply.com

+1 on RML they do a quick turnaround on their orders in my experience. They are limited in their sizes/colors compared to AE, but you don't have to hassle with import tariffs either. I got a bill from DHL after my last order for another $50 for tariff fees.

With my second order, I figured out the error condition on the Abbey England site. If your CC supports it, online ordering works just fine. However, since they had to actually run my CC after the order so they can add on shipping costs, my Amex declined the transaction. Once it's in that state, you should be able to go to your account, click on statements, and pay for the order afterwards with the shipping in place.

However, THAT is where it's broken. It swaps your USA address for Great Briton and you can never get it to go through.

My quick fix was to create a new order completely from scratch and use a Visa card.

You had to pay tariff fees? I've ordered twice, and haven't had that happen. Maybe it depends on the amount you spend.

If that's the case, then I'm going to break future orders into tiny orders.