Uwe

How-To Video On Timing The Hook On A Consew 225 / Singer 111W155 Class Machine

I've made another how-to-time-your-hook video. This one stars my Consew 225, which represents a class of machines that has a lot of surviving members in the wild. I don't even want to admit how much time I spent on this, haha. It may be a while before I do another one.

Here's the video for your entertainment and education:

Edited by Uwe

Excellent!!!! :thumbsup:

Great video like the attention to detail and the resolution

Every sewing machine owner should master this 'basic' adjustment. A lot don't. This thread should be pinned. After watching this video you know what to look for if you have a timing issue. Even when you have a different machine.

Btw Uwe, did you polish the hook? The point looks blue. Be carefull with polishing, not to overheat the material.You could change the temper of the steel and make it softer.

Good video though. Must take a lot of time making it this nice.

Hi Uwe,

Thank you fo taking the time to make your video. The clarity of presentation is exceptional, the time you spent editing and making the video really shows.

As a beginning tinkerer, I appreciate these type of videos..

Have a good Christmas.

Alex

Edited by alexitbe

Great video Uwe

It is easier than using just the printed pages

Have you made one for stitch length balancing for a Consew with reverse?

Thanks

TZ

Edited by TZBrown

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys!

Have you made one for stitch length balancing for a Consew with reverse?

I just bought a Juki 563 class machine (a Tacsew T1563) that I'm working on. I'll probably make a stitch length balancing video with that machine over the next month or so (once I figure out how to actually do it). Not sure if the Consew machines have the exact same reverse mechanism, though.

Btw Uwe, did you polish the hook? The point looks blue. Be carefull with polishing, not to overheat the material.You could change the temper of the steel and make it softer.

The hook is a brand new hook as it arrived in the Hirose box. I had just installed it. I noticed the slight blue color on the tip, too, but I can't say why that is. Perhaps it' s due to a special heat treatment they do to the tip of the hook at the factory. Hirose seems to enjoy a pretty good reputation as a hook maker, so I hope it's okay. Time will tell. The hook was only $35, not a huge investment, and the new hook was big improvement over the old one.

Nicely done Uwe, I'm glad you added the snippet for the needle guard. Without that being set properly, it's the difference between cutting thread, breaking needles, skipping stitches, and ruining your new hook. It's probably the most overlooked adjustment in the timing process, along with the latch opener. When I freelance at upholstery shops, leather shops etc., I almost always have to adjust the guard. The manuals just don't stress the importance.

Regards, Eric

Very nice videos. I just got a 226. Just wondering if you have the model # for the hirose hook. Also what else does hirose have for these consew machines 225-226? Anyone know?

The Hirose part number for the hook is HSH-11-55. Not sure if Hirose makes anything other than hooks. The Hirose PDF Catalog has the full list of hooks they make. The catalog also has some interesting general hook related information in the back about oiling schemes and adjustment guidelines.

Edited by Uwe

This something I have been searching for. This will give many folks the heads up and insight they need to get a handle on the machine they own, You have done a very good job and I myself am very grateful. Many thanks.

Thanks Uwe for such a fantastic presentation....... for a newbie this is precious...... much appreciated.

Everytime I surf this forum I learn something new.

Now to try it out.

Bob C

211G156

Finally found the drill depth colar at Lowe's ...... now need to modifyit and go on to the fine tuning.

Many thanks for the video.

Bob C

Hey it's been a long time........ sewing got put aside when the fair weather returned last Spring.....Winter is here and time for indoor sewing activities.

This is more of a follow up and a BIG thank you for all the help you all have provided me..... the videos were worth a thousand words.

My 211G156 is now sewing very well....... had to get a few parts BUT the information on the tuning/timing was priceless.  I have installed a used 1750 RPM motor but it is still too fast for my skill level and for doing small stitching such as leather/canvas straps on truck cargo cover.

Still cruising the forum for information .....silently as I have a steeeeep learning curve.

I am a member on other forum sites and they have provision for donations to help with the admin/operation of the web site....... do we have such a process???

Next step is building/installing a jack shaft speed reducer and possibly a servo...... may seem like wearing suspenders and belt.....but I would rather be slow and high on the torque band and better quality.

Cheers

Bob C

Edited by rac1812

13 hours ago, rac1812 said:

Snip

This is more of a follow up and a BIG thank you for all the help you all have provided me..... the videos were worth a thousand words.

Snip

I am a member on other forum sites and they have provision for donations to help with the admin/operation of the web site....... do we have such a process???

Cheers

Bob C

Yes we do take donations! There is a section on the home page labeled Support this forum (in the right sidebar). It offers three levels of donation amounts and defaults to PayPal.

As for your clutch motor, you can back off the big bolt on the right/front side of the casing. It positions the brake pad vs the clutch. Giving it more slack makes it easier to learn to feather the clutch. There is also a spring adjustment on the control arm that can be played with. It can be set to just barely pull the lever up, or pull it up hard. Make sure you don't tighten it so much that the clutch won't fully engage.

You might want to start a new topic that deals with controlling clutch motors, as this topic was about timing machines.