Betrisher

What To Do About Old Tools?

Hi! I'm a new member who's returning to leathercraft after a thirty-year gap. I have a huge collection of tools from 'way back and, of course, most of them are rusty. I've managed to salvage a lot of them by using fine steel wool, a toothbrush and a soft cloth, but many of my good figure carving stamps are still pretty rusty. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a way of getting the rust off my tools so they might be usable again. I don't suppose there's a way of getting them re-plated once this has been done?

I know I can't restore the tools to new condition, but they cost a lot thirty years ago and I doubt I could afford to replace them all at today's prices! Please help if you have any good ideas! :)

Go to a few garages and ask them if they have a small sandblasting cabinet, often called a spot blaster. It is used for cleaning corrosion off small components and spark plugs

Shot - or bead - blasting is similar

Obviously try it on a not so important tool first

Go to a few garages and ask them if they have a small sandblasting cabinet, often called a spot blaster. It is used for cleaning corrosion off small components and spark plugs

Shot - or bead - blasting is similar

Obviously try it on a not so important tool first

There is blasting media that is soft, like crushed walnut hulls so that you can remove rust or paint without hurting the metal substrate. But I would try soaking in something like the Evaporust first.

Thanks so much, everyone. I'd never heard of Evaporust, but you can be sure I'll be getting some as soon as ever I find a stockist near where I live. Gee, I hadn't realised how rusty I'd become either: my swivel knife skills need evaporusting as well. :(

EVAPO-RUST is the best!!

Non toxic and does a great job.

Better then vinegar.

Then you can polish the metal if you like.

Hi! I'm a new member who's returning to leathercraft after a thirty-year gap. I have a huge collection of tools from 'way back and, of course, most of them are rusty. I've managed to salvage a lot of them by using fine steel wool, a toothbrush and a soft cloth, but many of my good figure carving stamps are still pretty rusty. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a way of getting the rust off my tools so they might be usable again. I don't suppose there's a way of getting them re-plated once this has been done?

I know I can't restore the tools to new condition, but they cost a lot thirty years ago and I doubt I could afford to replace them all at today's prices! Please help if you have any good ideas! :)

Hi! Find Bruce Johnson on this forum...great guy, knowledgable and well-repected here.....he knows all about restoring old tools :)

I just did a google search for "evapo-rust Australia" and it gave me a list of stockists. This stuff is good as has been mentioned. Just a tip - you can warm it and speed the process along. Put the tools in an aluminum pan and warm to "cool enough you can stick your finger in, hot enough you can't leave it there". It will make a 12 hour cold soak happen in about 10 minutes. The solution can be reused a lot. I strain it back into the jug and use it until it is black as tar. Rinse the tools a couple times and wipe them down and let them dry.

I have had good luck with warm vinegar in a glass dish on a hot plate. For more serious rust I have resorted to electrolytic rust removal in a 5 gallon bucket using an old battery charger as the power source and washing soda as electrolyte. In some cases a fine wire brush on a bench grinder is all that is really needed but a good long soak in hot vinegar followed by scrubbing with a brass brush usually does a fine job for me.

Again, thanks so much for the great response to my problem. I've found a local stockist (SuperCheap Auto Parts) that's supposed to stock Evaporust. Hubby will be making a bee-line there on Monday to get me some. Watch this space! I hope like mad I can restore at least some of my tools and get working. :)