sdkid

1st post

Hello from Pierre, SD. I'm fairly new to leathering(as my boys call it). My late father in law got me going. I mainly stamp simple designs. I'm moving towards some more difficult tooling and sewing projects. Lack of time and not enough practice are my biggest downfalls. I know I'll get better with time, but I'm an impatient person. See ya'll around, Chris.

:welcome: Come on in, Chris, and have a seat at the work table. Glad you could join us! Leather scraps over there <-----... The coffee is over there. ---> (Johanna makes it extra bold.) Sorry, the donuts are all gone, but Clay will bring more in the morning.

Feel free to ask questions and share your ideas, and don't forget to post images of your work.

Kate

Welcome, you are going to love this site, everyone is very open & willing to help. Looking forward to seeing your work, Alan

Hello and welcome to the board!!

Not enough time is not so funny but I know what it feels like and I think most of us do.

IF you're going to carve there is a simple practice I like to do that takes ten minutes.

Draw some S curves and a few straight lines onto some scrap leather and carve one S-curve - one stright line - one S-curve...and so forth.

If I've been away from carving a few weeks because of something, I do this one to before getting back onto subject to "wake up" my hands a little.

Tom

Welcome to the best place on the 'web. Tell, Clay thanks for the donuts, but don't eat them. Also don't forget a spoon for the sludge...er, coffee.

Take your time with your leatherwork, and ask all the questions you want, we'll be glad to help anyway we can.

I have lots of ideas already. There are some great thing being shown around here. I've done several items, all have been tandy kits. I'll try to get pics up. I use mainly 3d stamps right now. The tooling I do is pretty simple. I'll try to get a pic of my boys too(6&8). I'm teaching them the little bit I know. They don't get much done yet, but we have a good time together.

ok so this is my first post...

I joined to help my dad who would prefer to use the laptop as a skeet than anything. But in trying to sway him away from shooting it I found this site and wa-la..there is hope that he joins our century. So..here I am not new to computers but new to blogs and such navigating so I can 'interpret' if you will so he can fully enjoy this site and interact with people that are fabulous artist like him. My first lesson is how to add pictures...hang in there with me while I figure it out--I will try not to waste space here while learning. If this works these are images of something my dad did for the pay it forward thing they are doing on here, which is very cool.

PIF_Ammo_Pouch__1.jpgPIF_Ammo_Pouch__2.jpg

post-9628-1236041436_thumb.jpg

post-9628-1236041901_thumb.jpg

nice cartridge box. very clean & neat.. that looks like a .45-70

or is it something smaller.

nice cartridge box. very clean & neat.. that looks like a .45-70

or is it something smaller.

I am not sure the size, but sent to Dad so he can answer. He has been working leather for 30 yrs or more as a hobby. He does it all by hand, even the sewing! Always amazes me. He made me purses, key chains, rings and oh the most fabulous thing was the Star Trek leather belt and holders for each of the little plastic communicators and stuff when I was about 12 for me and my cousin. We were the coolest on the block!

Hey luke good eye ..thats actually some .45-60s a touch shorter than the .45-70, there for the lg frame 1886 Win.The box has a drilled poplar block and holds seven cartridges.also doubles with .410 shotgun,.45 colt.I did another this week and tried that homebrewed black die formula...It turned out great.I have to thank my daughter for gettin this post on,She's tryin to drag me (kickin and screamin )into the 21st century!!I tend to lean toward the clean funtional designs but that toolin is really nice.There are alot of talented folks that post here!

Welcome!

RHALL... we're glad that you are here, keep'em comming. and listen to your Daughter,

i listened to my son ................

Yeah listen to your daughter. :coffeecomp: I think it is one of those things we (children) are still looked at and sometimes seen as that cute (really cute) 5 yr old....but Dad... lol even when we are 40! I will always be the kid. Love ya dad! :)

I know that very well..and I thank the lord for that gift everyday!I also thank "God and Grayhound she gone"I have never been sorry about having you though!