panchoskywalker

How To Lined A Leather Tray?

Hello friends. I am starting to make some valet leather tray based on some tutorial that I found on internet. I start by molding the leather, many tutorials about that on Internet. But then I tried to glue a piece of fabric inside but the result is not good.

Should I applied some hardening on the fabric before glueing?

How to avoid loose thread on the borders?

Which glue would you use for this work?

I'm talking about this kind of trays:

http://www.remodelista.com/products/buffalo-calf-leather-tray-small

Did you try gluing in the lining before molding the tray? As far as the loose threads on the edges go, trim them and an edge paint should be able to cover them up.

Edited by thefanninator

Did you try gluing in the lining before molding the tray? As far as the loose threads on the edges go, trim them and an edge paint should be able to cover them up.

I did though about that alternative but I have not tried it.

This is the second try.

On the first try I bonded the fabric but it got to stiff to adapt to the tray form. So I tried this one where the fabric is not bonded but then I got stains from the glue (tear mender).

There must be a safe way to do this.

t0gsj4.jpg

I share your pain!

I'm interested in attaching fabric linings to wallets and I'm having similar problems. I use Weldwood contact cement to assemble my items and I've run across several people here that use it to attach fabric to leather successfully, but I've always had the problem of the glue solvent soaking through the fabric and showing up on the visible side. I've tried using very thin coats but then I have trouble getting good adhesion. One problem is the thickness of your fabric. It sounds like many who use Weldwood for this are using thicker fabric, like canvas, which is harder to soak the glue through. I've recently bought (but have not yet tried) 3M - 90 Spray Adhesive as an alternative to see if it will work with thin fabric better.

There are apparently lots of tricks to making this work, I just haven't figured them out yet.

Bob

I'm sure that Spray Adhesive should work but I've read somewhere that is doesn't last as long as glue...and I wonder if I could still wet the leather to mold it.

nevermind, I will try it also.

You can try aminal glue carefully brushed to create a thin coat. It shouldn't leave white stains like pva glues. Otherwise you can try another kind of fabric, maybe one with one side plastified so the glue doens't soak it.

I stay away from fabrics and use pigskin or suede.

No loose threads, gives a nice edge and the glue doesn't soak through.