I am a newbie and making a belt for a friend who wants it colored light purple. I am using Angelus brand dye...but after diluting it with rubbing alcohol it remains to be dark(almost black) .

I want a light purple result...any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank You...Craig h

I use the same dye except I use denatured alcohol. You need to keep adding alcohol to get the lighter color. I don't care what anybody else says I never got rubbing alcohol to work ! You will need to keep up with how much alcohol to the amount of dye incase you need more of that color you have just made.

Thank you dirtclod.....

To get a nicer light purple/lilac color, try mixing in some light pink...drop by drop :-)

what Tina said and use an airbrush if you have one or try and borrow one. I found it easier to control colors with the airbrush.

Less dye to alcohol ratio. Try adding drops of dye to the alcohol instead of alcohol to the dye until you get a tint you prefer. Depending on weather or not you are using oil dye or standard they make a white as well. So you can add white, and as Tina stated, a pink to change the color.

Angelus had a neutral mixer to use instead of the alcohol, I was told by the shop (Lefflers, AU) alcohol didn't work too well so you should always use the neutral to lighten

I use Angelus dyes also. I used the purple on flowers and needed a light purple. I only use the Angelus Reducer. I ALWAYS use a glass dropper when mixing my dyes. I also use the method mentioned by Ember where I add drops of reducer into my paint tray and then add the dye to that. I would say if you are trying to go for a light purple you may cutting the dye by 1/2 or even 3/4's. ie.. 2 drops of dye to 4 or 6 drops of reducer or even more. You can try the alcohol. It sounds like you just may need to reduce it alot more than you have been doing to get a much lighter color. I'm not sure what other people do but I also make sure my leather is damp/cased when I dye. That may be different from person to person.

Good luck