dikman

Chinese Servo Motor.

My Chinese servo motor just arrived. Yay. I didn't get it until pretty late in the day, but couldn't wait to hook it up and see what happened. I was a wee bit concerned, as even though it's rated at 500 watts it's pretty small (but then, the DC motor on my vertical mill is small, but works very well). I turned it on and nothing blew up, which is always a good start! I have a pulley reduction system on the machine, but even with that it seemed to start with a bit of a lurch - not quite what I expected, so I figured I should read what passes for a manual. Quite a few parameters to fiddle with, but it turns out that most are only effective if the needle synchronization is used. I worked out what a couple probably do and reduced the setting on one and lo and behold, it started very slowly. Much nicer. I tried putting pressure on the handwheel and it didn't have any effect, so it looks like it's got gobs of torque. I called it quits until tomorrow when I will try it on some leather.

I spent the extra to get one with the needle synchronization, but unfortunately it turns out I can't use that feature on my machine. The synchronization "module" is designed to mount on the end of the main shaft, but because mine has the stitch length adjuster in the centre of the handwheel there's no way I can fit it!! It also came with a 3" pulley, but I had asked for the 2" instead. They said that the Australian warehouse only has 3" versions, so they are sending me a 2" via courier.

I'll post a couple of photos tomorrow and let y'all know how it goes with some leather. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

Hi dikman, Have you got a link to the site for the servo. Thanks.

Silverback, I did a search on AliExpress.com (the Chinese equivalent of ebay) and came up with this - http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20150921145713&SearchText=sewing+machine+servo+motor. The first one is the one I bought.

There are others slightly cheaper, but this lot (Lishui Skyrit import and export) ship from an Australian warehouse, took 6 days from Sydney to Adelaide, which is pretty good for Australia Post!

Edited by dikman

Some photos.

post-63428-0-57715800-1442884835_thumb.jpost-63428-0-22645000-1442884837_thumb.jpost-63428-0-88150600-1442884838_thumb.jpost-63428-0-39753800-1442884840_thumb.j

I've played around with it a bit more, and I'm very pleased with it. I've probably been pushing my machine past what it's designed for, so any issues have been due to that. I tried a size 21 needle, with 138 thread, and got it through 1/4" of leather, although it balked a couple of times due to the hardness of the leather, the main problem being that one of the belts started slipping (the motor kept going). No problems with torque.

I slowed the start speed setting even more, and it will now walk very slowly right from startup. I've also reduced the top speed, as I don't need a machine that sews at light speed!! Considering its size (it's only a fraction of the size and weight of the Singer clutch monster that it replaced) I'm very impressed.

Silverback, unless the main shaft end of your machine is threaded to take a bolt, you won't be able to use the synchronizer, so I'd just buy one without it and save $50. I don't see the lack of it as being a problem, due to the much improved slow speed control.

Edited by dikman

As I mentioned, my motor came with the large (3") pulley, and I asked for the smaller one instead. The small one arrived today, via courier from China, only took 4 days. Value of the pulley, $1, shipping cost $?? Pretty impressive service. I thought it would be 2", but it's about 1 3/4".

Thanks mate, looks like I may have to get one. I didn't notice in their add any mention of extra for the needle positioner. Was your price about A$ 244.how much difference does the smaller pulley make or is it worth while to stay with the original. I think the add said 90 mm. . Peter.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?shipCountry=AU&shipFromCountry=au&shipCompanies=&SearchText=sewing+machine+servo+motor&exception=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&minQuantity=&maxQuantity=&isFreeShip=y&isFavorite=n&isRtl=n&isOnSale=n&isBigSale=n&similar_style=n&similar_style_id=&isAtmOnline=n&CatId=0&initiative_id=SB_20150921145713&needQuery=y

I've refined the search to free shipping and Australia delivery.

If you look at the various models in the listing, the same unit comes without the needle positioner for $201 (just went up a couple of $). They also have a 750 watt (1 hp) for $244 (no needle positioner). It may depend what they have in stock in the local warehouse, as I originally wanted the version with the controller mounted on the motor, but when I tried to put in the order it said it wasn't available. Which turned out to be good, as I prefer what I've got.

The standard pulley in Australia is 75mm, which is actually more than adequate for my needs - but I do have a pulley reduction system fitted, so I doubt if the smaller one is needed. If you want the smaller one, make a note in the comments section when you place the order.

Just make sure that you select the 220v model, not the 110v!

Update: I used it to pre-punch the holes on a belt, two layers of 4-5 oz veg and a 21 needle, all the way around the edges, and while it did it the drive belts occasionally slipped. I'm using neoprene rubber and there's too much stretch in it, so I cobbled together a rough setup using some odd v-belts that were lying around. What a difference!! It now punches through 1/4" of hard veg (same needle) at very slow speed with no trouble at all! Looks like I'm going to have to re-jig my pulley system a bit. Although thinking about it, I reckon what I really need is a smallish gearbox on the shaft of the motor.

Silverback, if you order one I suggest you request the smaller pulley (just in case).

Ok . thanks again mate.