ryano

Hello from OHIO!

Great sight with a lot of talented craftsmen and ladies. Sure is a wealth of knowledge within these forums. I am new to leather work. By trade I am an industrial engineer. I was a mold maker for about ten years prior to being an engineer. Oh and 7 years of college. I weld up old cars on the side and still do some machine work now and then. I have only been doing leather work sense July of this year. I had to have open heart surgery and needed something to keep me busy. I started out with belts and went on to making m/c saddle bags, tool pouches, chaps, sewing on patches, sewing in zippers. Pretty much anything that goes with motorcycles and cushmans. I have been having a lot of fun rounding up old leather working tools and machines. I have rounded up over a ton in tools and machines sense mid Aug. I live within a large Amish community and traded a lot of them out of there leather working tools. I can only sew up to 1/2" leather and need to round up a large cylinderbed machine that sews at least 3/4." Enough about me. Again, great sight!

Ryano,

Welcome to the board. You'll find everyone here friendly and willing to help. I too live in Ohio. But way down south near Cincinnati. If you are ever in the area, stop in to the Cincinnati Tandy store and tell them Dave sent you.....that and a buck will probably get you a cup of coffee.

Enjoy the site,

By the way, I'm into the motorcycle thing too.

David Theobald

Welcome to the Forum ryano!

You've definitely come to the right place. Lots to learn and share here. Sounds like you are a well rounded type, and your engineering, and mold making should be a big asset to all of us. Looking forward to pictures of your work!

Hello & welcome to the forum, I am glad you are doing ok from your surgery, leatherwork is a great way to keep busy & creative, there is no limit to what you can do, as you can see from browsing some of the photos on the site! Again welcome and we look forward to seeing your work, Alan

The heart surgery was a result of knee surgery. A piece of cartlidge found its way up an artery and decided to lodge in my heart. Doing fine with that now with no heart damage. David, I am Cinci once a month in the Mason area to see one of my docs. Last week was the first time I had went to a Tandy leather store. It was in Columbus, Oh. and the manager was great. I got business pricing and bought a couple of things while there. Most of my supplies comes from Weaver Leather and the local Amish harness makers. I have really enjoyed this forum the last few days. I found I am not the only one who dislikes tan coat and bag coat. I have no idea why anything manufactured for leather would not be water proof. Live and learn.

I have been working on getting some of my equipment up and running. It all has been sitting around for years. Rust removal is the largest task. I have been using a wonderful product called evapo rust do do most of the work. I also have been doing machine work to the items also.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! I look forward to learning, sharing and swapping knowledge.