natenaaron

Checking Validity Of A Statement, And A Question

Being new I have been calling and talking to a lot of suppliers, Some helpful and some not so. One person at very helpful, and highly regarded business made the following statement in a conversation I had with them about their leathers.

I asked "what is the difference between your Horween Chromexcel, and the other retanned leather you have?"

The person on the phone did not know so she went to ask someone. She came back and put a gentleman on the phone. I asked him the same thing. His response was "Nothing but name, origin, and price" I asked about quality difference and was told there was none. I asked about differences in processes. He said Horween is pretty secretive but in his ____ number of years working with comparing and selling leather he sees no difference between the horween and other retanned leather.

I am new, I don't know how true this is. How valid is the statement?

What might be the draw backs to ordering a non-horween branded leather? There are some colors I am really drawn to since my first choice of horween seems to not be available anywhere. I realize this is not tooling leather and you can't mold it.

Edited oil tanned to retanned because that is what we talked about.

Edited by natenaaron

"Oil tanned" leather is chrome tanned leather (unless otherwise stated, I suppose). Chromexcel is combination tanned (veg/chrome) so has some properties of both.

based on that, I would say this fellow is wrong.

A lot of oil tanned leathers have a pull-up effect like Chromexcel. So they may be similar in that respect. But Chromexecl is a very specific thing from a particular manufacturer. "Oil tanned" could be anything so i guess it depends on who made it, who it's made etc.

I guess my question is what is this other oil tanned leather your supplier is selling?

I know there is a difference and that Chomexcel is retanned then oil "impregnated". I specifically asked about leathers that were not chromexcel but had the same properties. I felt sure after several questions that he understood what I was talking about. I will edit the orginal statement to say retanned instead of oil tanned.

Thanks grmnsplx for correcting my terminology.

Edited by natenaaron