I'm still very, /very/ new to leatherworking, and learning the basics. But my old wallet gave out, so I thought making a wallet would be a good project.

Notwithstanding the fact that I can see all sorts of places where I screwed up, I'm still fairly proud of the thing. Designed the pattern from scratch.

bqP1Kev.jpg

FXlY1aG.jpg

That looks pretty darn good for a first attempt!

Heh, well, I didn't post the two failed efforts that went into the scrap bin. The first one was misshapen, and the second looked really good... until you actually tried to use it, because I screwed up and managed to arrange card slots so that it was unfoldable when you had cards in it. This is the first wallet I've made, on my third attempt.

Agree that this is a nice first attempt. The stitching is particularly good for a beginner, I think.

Main thing I see is the card slots. If you simply put slits, there is a chance that as they stretch and get stressed, they might be prone to tearing. Time will tell. Some folks put a round hole at the ends of the slits to reduce the stress. Good work there!

Overall, good job.

I would try and move the stitching out a little closer to the edge so you don't have so much wasted room.

On the slots, as tugadude said, punch small holes to reduce the chance of tearing. Another thing you could try is instead of just cutting a single slot, punch holes then cut lines between the tops and bottoms of each hole so you have a little extra room to put the cards in.

Thank you all, especially for the helpful suggestions. I'll definitely try the hole punching on the next one. This one I'll just wait and see and observe to see how the holes do. (If it fails, I can make another, and this one is a learning effort).

Really great stitching for your first attempt. I'd definitely try moving the thread closer to the edge and eventually order higher quality leather. Try maverick leather as they sell good quality leather for cheap - great for practice. I'm not affiliated with them just love their leather for some pieces and practice