medion

Pfaff 1245, Juki 563, Or Chinese

Hi all,

I am overworking my Juki DDL-555, sewing through multiple layers of canvas, leather, seat belt webbing, and other materials it wasn't really designed for. Therefore I'm looking at a walking foot, and the Pfaff 1245, Juki 563 are available nearish to where I live.

The Pfaff can be upgraded to a servo motor and would come in at around $1100USD, the Juki around $680USD with a clutch motor. They are both gold/bronze coloured, so built in the 80s sometime. Are these machines overpriced? Any other machines I could be looking at? Availability is always the issue, ie. Consew 206's aren't anywhere to be seen.

The alternative could be to keep waiting for something else to popup, or to consider something new, like a Cowboy or Typical Chinese machine...

The materials I'm sewing, are 3-4 layers of webbing, leather strapping, multiple layers of canvas and wool with binding, etc. I unfortunately do not think I can afford a newer machine like the Juki 1508.

I also have a bunch of binding attachments for my Juki 555, but I have a suspicion none of them will fit the aforementioned walking foot machines, which is a shame! Are attachments for the Pfaff readily available?

I´d buy the Juki and install a servo motor because of the availability of accessories and parts for the 563. You can use the Singer 111 feet which are quite cheap and a lot of other Singer 111 parts fit this machine as well. Pfaff accessories are more expensive. I´d also rather buy the Juki 563 than the consew 206 because I like the drop in bobbin of the 563.

Just my 2 cents

I agree with the above. :)

Thanks for the feedback! Wouldn't you know it, the Juki has been for sale for two months, and sold yesterday!

Any thoughts on the Singer 132K6 as an alternative? My only concern with this era of machine is lack of reverse.

Thanks for the feedback! Wouldn't you know it, the Juki has been for sale for two months, and sold yesterday!

Any thoughts on the Singer 132K6 as an alternative? My only concern with this era of machine is lack of reverse.

The SInger 132k6 is made to sew buffing wheels and webbing, up to 1/2 inch thick, with #346 thread, using a #26 needle. It seems to be a good match for your projects. I used to own one of these beasts and know its limitations and advantages.

As for reverse, you can either spin the work around to backstitch, or just sew over the starting thread for a few stitches. I have a SInger walking foot machine without reverse and overstitch all the time. Four or five stitches should do the trick.

The SInger 132k6 is made to sew buffing wheels and webbing, up to 1/2 inch thick, with #346 thread, using a #26 needle. It seems to be a good match for your projects. I used to own one of these beasts and know its limitations and advantages.

As for reverse, you can either spin the work around to backstitch, or just sew over the starting thread for a few stitches. I have a SInger walking foot machine without reverse and overstitch all the time. Four or five stitches should do the trick.

With the Singer, are parts and accessories like binding attachments readily available? If in future I like the machine, could I upgrade it to a servo motor?

Also, I have stumbled across many of your other related posts (they constantly come up in Google when researching machines!) - thanks for putting up so much valuable info.

With the Singer, are parts and accessories like binding attachments readily available? If in future I like the machine, could I upgrade it to a servo motor?

Accessories will have to be custom fitted to this machine. It is way bigger than 99.99% of standard walking foot machines (it weigh well over 100 pounds!). Bear in mind that the 132k6 is a primarily buffing wheel sewing machine.

Yes to the servo motor change, as long as the original clutch motor uses the standard 3 mounting bolts. Note, the flywheel pulley is much larger than a normal walking foot sewing machine and it runs slower already. Mine had a 2" motor pulley and ran at a top speed of about 6 or 7 stitches per second.

Edited by Wizcrafts

What about a new Chinese Pfaff? :whistle:

Just kidding, could not help myself, move along please!