Hello all! I just bought a yamata FS-388z. It's great for the price! I didn't need any sort of "enthusiast" class machine, and this is perfectly fine.

I was wondering about the modifications that can be done to it, though. I heard that the sailrite ls-1 was a clone of the fs-288. What about the 388z, and it's clone? I wanted to purchase a monster II clutch, and some other feet. What information do you guys have about compatible upgrades with the fs-388z?

I'm looking for feet, dogs, clutch, motor, anything else you can think of. Thank you in advance!

That type of machine is not really used in serious leather work, which our forum is all about. You might have better luck finding answers at a sail makers forum. That's what the target audience for these dual feed mini-walking foot machines is. It all began a long long time ago with a Morse portable walking foot machine.

But, if memory still serves me well enough, if you search the forum for "mini-walking foot machine", or "sailrite" you will find some old topics dealing with efforts to improve these portable machines.

I meant to say Thompson started making portable walking foot machines, for light upholstery and sail/boat seat repairs.

I have been looking at search results on the forum and I think that the best phrase to use is: "portable walking foot machine". There are a lot of posts going back to 2010 from people who tried to make these things sew leather.

AKAIK, the Monster wheel can replace the existing wheel. You will need a longer belt though. Sailrite also sells their motor and presser feet and some attachments.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Here is a topic from 2009 about Yamata portable walking foot machines and modifications

I actually read that same topic, but they're talking about the 288z. i'm looking at the 388z because it has a bit longer arm. I'll post in there.

Good luck with your hunt for info. There were a few members who bought those types of machines and some may be able to help you out. Otherwise, put a micrometer on the output shaft of the Yamata, then ask Sailrite if their Monster II wheel will fit it properly. Don't forget to buy the longer belt they sell for that conversion.