hh1302

Contact Cement

I know if I asked for "the best glue/contact cement for saddle building" I'd get lots of opinions. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which product to definitely stay away from?

This is only an opinion, but; since I have experience in not just the saddle making business, but; also in automotive seating, and painting, I have learned that if not absolutely forced to use waterborne materials, I stay away from them. In my opinion, they came into being because people believe they, are like castor Oil, good for you. I am almost 71 have been using all the various Ethyl based products for most of those years with no adverse results. You just need to head precautionary measures when using them. Again, that is my opinion, like belly buttons we all have one.

Bob

Edited by BondoBobCustomSaddles

It IS just a matter of what you get used to. I came up with glues that would get you high, or catch fire, usually both. You use ventilation to cure problem one, and take precautions to cure problem two. Laws in states like California have caused a big change in glues over the years, and not always for the better. They changed Barge, and I didn't like it. I've used Master for years and recently (I'm old, Viet Nam was recently), they came out with Master Max Bond, and I just knew for sure it was going to be crap. Well it isn't, and it is possibly better than the "old" Master Multi Purpose. The only problem is the apes in the warehouse just think Master is Master, same old white can, and they keep shipping "old" Master. I found out at a show that Master Max Bond is actually Renia Colle de Cologne. Seems some corporate buying outs caused it. Now I use the Renia products exclusively and like them, and there's no mistaking the green can. The Renia is also supposed to be safer if you have pregnant women in the shop, and truth be told, we have had no birth defects since we started using it, you still have to ventilate, but there's no toluene in it.

The white aliphatic resin type glues are ok but slow, and this isn't a woodworking shop, so clamping and waiting aren't words we recognize here. I do use the Fiebing's white glue when I teach leatherworking to the Boy Scouts, it is easier to "deconstruct".

Most leatherworkers find a glue they like and stick with it.

Art